Tulsa Blanks Frisco to Begin Road Trip
FRISCO, TX - The Tulsa Drillers opened up a six-game road trip in Texas on Monday night with the first of three against the Frisco RoughRiders at Dr Pepper Ballpark. Victor Gonzalez, Yordy Cabrera and Shea Spitzbarth combined to shut out the RoughRiders in a Drillers 4-0 victory.
The Drillers got the scoring started in the top of the fourth. Cody Thomas reached after getting hit by a pitch, then advanced to second on a wild pitch. Cristina Santana stayed hot and brought Thomas around to score with an RBI single, giving Tulsa a 1-0 lead.
An inning later, Carlos Rincon led off with a single, and Gavin Lux followed with a double. Zach McKinstry and Chris Parmelee each provided run-scoring singles before Cody Thomas capped the three-run inning with a sacrifice fly, extending the lead to 4-0.
Drillers starter Victor Gonzalez was once again solid in his 5.1 scoreless innings to open the game. The southpaw did not allow an extra-base hit and struck out six.
The Drillers bullpen took it the rest of the way. In the bottom of the sixth, Gonzalez ran into trouble after allowing a pair of singles. With one out, Yordy Cabrera came in out of the bullpen and gave the Drillers a scoreless inning and a two-thirds.
Shea Spitzbarth finished things off. He struck out five in the final two innings, preserving the Drillers 4-0 win.
WHAT YOU MISSED
*In the top of the seventh, Lux stole his fourth base of the season. He took over the team lead, passing Logan Landon's three stolen bases.
*Santana extended his hitting streak to five games. He is 7-24 with four RBI in that stretch.
*McKinstry knocked in his 31st run of the season and has now hit safely in 11 of his last 12 games. During that stretch, he is batting .340 with a pair of homers and seven RBI.
*Cabrera has thrown five-straight scoreless appearances out of the bullpen. Over his last 7.2 innings, he has allowed only two hits and has struck out nine.
UP NEXT: Tulsa at Frisco, Wednesday, June 12, 12:05 PM at Dr Pepper Ballpark in Frisco, TX. RHP Dustin May (2-5, 4.45 ERA) vs. RHP Jonathan Hernandez (2-4, 5.63 ERA).
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from June 12, 2019
- Amarillo Evens Series with 4-1 Win over Naturals - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- RockHounds Score 7 After Rain Delay, Cardinals Lose 9-5 - Springfield Cardinals
- Six Run Sixth Leads RockHounds to Win - Midland RockHounds
- LaRue Shines Despite Loss to Arkansas - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Lux and May Lead Tulsa Past Frisco - Tulsa Drillers
- Drillers Drop Riders Wednesday - Frisco RoughRiders
- Q&A with Hooks First Baseman Seth Beer - Corpus Christi Hooks
- RockHounds Drop Opener to Cardinals - Midland RockHounds
- Sod Poodles Drop Series Opener to Naturals 9-3, Remain One Game Back in Playoff Race - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Warner Ks 10 in 4-1 Cardinals Win over RockHounds - Springfield Cardinals
- Riders Drop Series Opener against Tulsa - Frisco RoughRiders
- Naturals Pound Poodles, 9-3 in Hodgetown Debut - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- McCaughan Brilliant in Win over Hooks - Arkansas Travelers
- Tulsa Blanks Frisco to Begin Road Trip - Tulsa Drillers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.