Walks Doom Herd in 7-3 Loss to Mets
A pair of two-out walks were the Bisons undoing on Monday night in a 7-3 loss to the Mets in the first game of a four-game series at NBT Bank Stadium in Syracuse.
The Mets scored three times in the third inning and three more times in the fifth to secure the win in the first matchup of the season between these two Thruway rivals. Each time, the rally started with a two-out walk.
With two outs and no one on base in the third, designated hitter Tim Tebow watched a pair of breaking balls from Buffalo starter Jordan Romano wrap just around the outside of the plate. With the inning kept alive, Gregor Blanco singled to center and former Bisons' shortstop Danny Espinosa got the green light on 3-0 and homered to deep right field to erase an early 3-0 Buffalo lead.
In the fifth, it was Espinosa that drew an eight-pitch walk with two gone and no one on base. Carlos Gomez hit the very next pitch from reliever Danny Young to center for a double. And while it appeared Espinosa missed the plate on his slide home, he was ruled safe to give Syracuse the 4-3 lead. The play led to Bisons manager Bobby Meacham's ejection.
The next batter, Travis Taijeron clubbed his sixth home run on the young season to give the Mets a 6-3 cushion.
Buffalo scored all three of their runs in the first inning. Bo Bichette walked to lead off the game, stole second and scored on Vladimir Guerrero Jr.'s single to right. Lourdes Gurriel Jr. then homered off the batter's eye in center for the 3-0 lead.
Bichette, unfortunately, was hit on his hands in his next at-bat on a pitch that was ruled a strike/foul for his attempted swing. He was taken out of the game and Andrew Guillotte finished his at-bat.
Now 4-10 on the season, the Bisons take on the Mets again Tuesday night at 6:35p.m.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 22, 2019
- Walks Doom Herd in 7-3 Loss to Mets - Buffalo Bisons
- Cesar Leads Wings to Series Opening Win - Rochester Red Wings
- Hot Hitting Leads Mets to Fourth Straight Win with 7-3 Victory over Bisons - Syracuse Mets
- Buffalo Bisons and Nexstar Broadcasting Partner to Air 10-Game Schedule on the CW-23 - Buffalo Bisons
- Nick Senzel to Report to Louisville - Louisville Bats
- Borchard to be Inducted into Charlotte Baseball Round Table of Honor on May 17th - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (6:35 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Nick Senzel Set to Report to Louisville Bats - Louisville Bats
- Keller Honored as International League Pitcher of the Week - Indianapolis Indians
- International League Players of the Week Named - IL
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Bisons Stories
- Bisons GM Anthony Sprague on Team's Temporary Relocation to Trenton
- Bisons to begin season in Trenton, NJ
- Blue Jays Reassign 10 to Minor League Camp
- MLB to Experiment with Bigger Bases at Triple-A During 2021 Season
- Blue Jays Name Casey Candaele Buffalo Bisons Manager