Wake up Call: Last Place Drive Pounce on Tourists
GREENVILLE- When the Asheville Tourists and the Greenville Drive get together you can throw out the records. Asheville came into play on Friday in first place and Greenville sat in the cellar. The game result was the opposite of what one might expect, unless you are familiar with this rivalry. Greenville handed Asheville an 11-1 loss; the Tourists largest margin of defeat this season.
Asheville just came off a big series victory at Augusta to begin the road trip, so the let down tonight shouldn't be that much of a surprise. Greenville plated one in the first, added two more in the third, and scored another in the fourth. The damage early could've been worse but Asheville's defense turned three double-plays.
Greenville wasn't done. The Drive scored four times in the fifth inning and added their final three runs in the seventh. The Tourists' lone run came on a Cade Harris sacrifice fly in the top of the eighth. Danny Edgeworth collected two of Asheville's five hits in the game.
Will Tribucher and Derrik Watson both tallied scoreless innings out of Asheville's bullpen on a night where the pitching staff struggled overall. Greenville's starting pitcher, Alex Scherff, was dominant over seven innings. Scherff was 0-2 against the Tourists prior to tonight.
The Tourists will attempt to rebound on Saturday night in game two. The first pitch is slated for 7:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 23, 2019
- Crawdads Squash Hoppers with 16 Runs - Hickory Crawdads
- Wake up Call: Last Place Drive Pounce on Tourists - Asheville Tourists
- Scherff, Offense Shine in Rout of Tourists - Greenville Drive
- Fireflies Win with Five-Run Ninth-Inning Rally - Columbia Fireflies
- Long Balls Doom Dogs as Charleston Falls in Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- GreenJackets Beat Legends 2-1 in Six-Inning Game - Augusta GreenJackets
- Martin, Rinehart Blank BlueClaws in 1-0 Power Win - West Virginia Power
- BlueClaws Fall 1-0 for Second Straight Day with Friday Loss - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 23 at Rome (Game 126) - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Birds Opener in H-Town Rained Out - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Osik's Big Day Overshadowed by 14 Rome Runs - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Riley Joins Rome Braves on ML Rehab - Rome Braves
- Swanson Helps Lead Rome to 14-4 Blowout Win - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.