BlueClaws Fall 1-0 for Second Straight Day with Friday Loss
CHARLESTON, WV - Matt Martin and Logan Rinehart combined to shut out the BlueClaws 1-0 on Friday, the second straight night the BlueClaws lost 1-0.
This 1-0 loss came in the first of a three-game series with the Power after Lakewood dropped a 1-0 finale in Lexington on Thursday night. The Power have won 11 of 15 against Lakewood so far this season.
Matt Sanders drove in the game's lone run in the first inning with an RBI single to drive home Billy Cooke, who had doubled on Manuel Silva's first pitch.
That Sanders single, however, was the last batter to reach against Silva, who retired the last 14 hitters he faced after allowing hits to two of the first three. Silva also tied his career high, and set a new season high, with eight strikeouts among the 15 outs he recorded.
Martin threw six scoreless innings for the Power, his second straight start in which he threw six scoreless frames since joining the Power last week.
Logan Rinehart came on in the seventh and got the last nine outs for his first save. In the ninth, he gave up a one-out single to Malvin Matos and then balked him to second. Rinehart, however, struck out Abrahan Gutierrez and got Carlos De La Cruz to ground out to third base to end the game.
BlueClaws reliever Josh Hendrickson threw three scoreless innings in relief for Lakewood.
Cole Stobbe had two hits for the BlueClaws.
The shutout marked the 13th time the BlueClaws have been shut out this year. It's the first time they've been shut out two games in a row since they were blanked in both ends of May 20th double-header in 2018 at Greensboro.
The teams continue their series on Saturday night at 6:05 pm. RHP Kevin Gowdy starts for Lakewood opposite RHP Ryne Inman.
Images from this story
Lakewood BlueClaws pitcher Manuel Silva
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 23, 2019
- Crawdads Squash Hoppers with 16 Runs - Hickory Crawdads
- Wake up Call: Last Place Drive Pounce on Tourists - Asheville Tourists
- Scherff, Offense Shine in Rout of Tourists - Greenville Drive
- Fireflies Win with Five-Run Ninth-Inning Rally - Columbia Fireflies
- Long Balls Doom Dogs as Charleston Falls in Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- GreenJackets Beat Legends 2-1 in Six-Inning Game - Augusta GreenJackets
- Martin, Rinehart Blank BlueClaws in 1-0 Power Win - West Virginia Power
- BlueClaws Fall 1-0 for Second Straight Day with Friday Loss - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 23 at Rome (Game 126) - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Birds Opener in H-Town Rained Out - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Osik's Big Day Overshadowed by 14 Rome Runs - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Riley Joins Rome Braves on ML Rehab - Rome Braves
- Swanson Helps Lead Rome to 14-4 Blowout Win - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.