Martin, Rinehart Blank BlueClaws in 1-0 Power Win
CHARLESTON, W. Va. - Matt Martin tossed six scoreless innings for the second straight outing as West Virginia blanked the Lakewood BlueClaws, 1-0, win Friday night at Appalachian Power Park.
The Power (28-32, 65-65) kicked things off from the get-go, as the leadoff man, Billy Cooke, ripped a ground-rule double on the first pitch he saw from Manuel Silva (5-6) to put a runner in scoring position in the first. After a Caleb Ricca flyout advanced Cooke to third, a Matt Sanders single plated the first run of the game and gave West Virginia a 1-0 lead.
Martin (1-0) did not allow a baserunner until the third inning, when Cole Stobbe doubled with one out, but he was stranded at second after two straight popouts. The BlueClaws (26-32, 55-73) managed a base hit and left a runner stranded in both the fourth and fifth frames, but nothing else against Martin, who finished six scoreless innings for the second straight start.
Silva also impressed in the remainder of his night, as the southpaw did not surrender another baserunner after the Sanders single to keep the BlueClaws within striking distance. The 20-year-old saw his outing come to a close after five innings while tallying a season-high eight strikeouts.
Logan Rinehart (S,1) entered in the seventh for the Power and retired the first seven batters he faced. He did not concede a hit until the ninth, when Malvin Matos stroked a single to center. Despite the one-out hit, Rinehart set down the next two BlueClaws and closed out the 1-0 West Virginia win. It is the first 1-0 win for the Power since they took down Hickory by the same score on July 2 at Appalachian Power Park. West Virginia now has six 1-0 wins this season, the most in a single season in franchise history.
The Power continues their penultimate homestand Saturday evening against the Lakewood BlueClaws at Appalachian Power Park, with first pitch set for 6:05 p.m. West Virginia has not named a starter, while Lakewood counters with RHP Kevin Gowdy (0-5, 4.83 ERA). Pregame coverage begins at 5:45 p.m. on The Jock 1300 and 1340 AM, as well as online at wvpower.com and via the TuneIn Radio App and MiLB First Pitch App.
The highlight of the homestand comes Saturday night, as the first 1,000 fans through the gates, which open at 4:30 p.m., will receive a Cole Tucker bobblehead giveaway, courtesy of the Charleston Building and Construction Trades Council. Also, all fans can enjoy a pregame concert by Rel-X from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. on the GetGoWV stage, with happy hour specials available at the Budweiser Dugout Bar! For tickets and more information, call the Power at 304-344-2287 or visit www.wvpower.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 23, 2019
- Crawdads Squash Hoppers with 16 Runs - Hickory Crawdads
- Wake up Call: Last Place Drive Pounce on Tourists - Asheville Tourists
- Scherff, Offense Shine in Rout of Tourists - Greenville Drive
- Fireflies Win with Five-Run Ninth-Inning Rally - Columbia Fireflies
- Long Balls Doom Dogs as Charleston Falls in Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- GreenJackets Beat Legends 2-1 in Six-Inning Game - Augusta GreenJackets
- Martin, Rinehart Blank BlueClaws in 1-0 Power Win - West Virginia Power
- BlueClaws Fall 1-0 for Second Straight Day with Friday Loss - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 23 at Rome (Game 126) - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Birds Opener in H-Town Rained Out - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Osik's Big Day Overshadowed by 14 Rome Runs - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Riley Joins Rome Braves on ML Rehab - Rome Braves
- Swanson Helps Lead Rome to 14-4 Blowout Win - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent West Virginia Power Stories
- Cederlind Makes MLB Debut Tuesday with Pirates
- Mathisen Makes MLB Debut Monday Night with Diamondbacks
- Hayes, Topa Make MLB Debuts Tuesday Night
- Power Streaming UFC 252 Pay-Per-View August 15
- Power to Host Negro Leagues' Centennial Celebration Exhibit August 7