Vipers Top Charge in Overtime
HIDALGO, Texas -- The Rio Grande Valley Vipers topped the Canton Charge 110-102 in overtime tonight at State Farm Arena.
Tim Ohlbrecht led the Vipers with 19 points, followed by Mike Singletary with 18 points. Kyle Fogg contributed 17 points. Vernon Macklin posted 12 points, and both Chris Johnson and Glen Rice, Jr. added 11 points.
Two members of the Charge tallied double-doubles. Arinze Onuaku led Canton with 18 points, 16 rebounds, and Michael Eric tallied 11 points, 13 rebounds. Travis Franklin posted 17 points, followed by Kyle Gibson with 13 points. Antoine Agudio scored 11 points.
During the first quarter, Ohlbrecht contributed seven points to help the Vipers take a 23-13 lead early in the game. However, the Charge were able to quickly close their deficit to 27-25 at the 10:26 mark in the second quarter. RGV held on until 4:31 was left in the half, when Franklin connected from behind the arc and sunk a free throw to give Canton a 38-37 lead. The Charge entered the half on top 50-49.
Canton held the lead throughout the third quarter. With 8:20 left in the fourth quarter, Ohlbrecht connected on a layup that gave the Vipers the 84-83 lead. Both teams fought to gain control of the game, with Singletary and Johnson sinking consecutive three-pointers to put RGV up 97-94. Gibson and Gutierrez sunk shots for Canton, and Fogg answered with a pair of free throws to give the Vipers a 99-96 advantage, but a three-point shot from the Charge's Aguido tied the game at 99, sending the teams into overtime.
The Vipers held Canton to score three points in overtime, and claimed the 110-102 win.
The Vipers hit the road next week for back-to-back games at Bakersfield. On Saturday, Dec. 29 the contest is scheduled for 9 p.m. (CT), and the game on Sunday, Dec. 30 will tipoff at 6 p.m. CT. Vipers fans can listen to both games live on Fox Sports 1700 and can watch the game live on YouTube.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 21, 2012
- Legends Overcome 17-Point Deficit to Defeat Skyforce - Texas Legends
- Vipers Halt Charge Winning Streak - Canton Charge
- Second-Half Surge Lifts Tulsa Past Iowa - Tulsa 66ers
- Vipers Top Charge in Overtime - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Austin Toros Lose at Home 98-97 - Austin Spurs
- Selby Leads Bighorns Past Torors - Reno Bighorns
- Shengelia Shines as Armor Fall to BayHawks - Springfield Armor
- Red Claws Topple Ants, 109-99 - Maine Red Claws
- Reggie Jackson Assigned to Tulsa 66ers - Tulsa 66ers
- Oklahoma City Thunder Re-Assign Reggie Jackson to NBA D-League Affiliate Tulsa 66ers - G League
- Philadelphia 76ers Assign Arnett Moultrie to NBA D-League Affiliate Sioux Falls Skyforce - G League
- Bighorns Owner Santos Appointed to Tourism Commission - Reno Bighorns
- Time Warner Cable Sportsnet to Televise Los Angeles D-Fenders Games - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Skyforce Partners with Local Knights of Columbus Councils to Host Free Throw Contests - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Celtics Recall Joseph from Maine Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Brooklyn Assigns Tornike Shengelia, Tyshawn Taylor to NBA D-League Affiliate Springfield Armor - G League
- Brooklyn Nets Assign Shengelia and Taylor to Springfield - Springfield Armor
- Knicks Recall Stoudemire, Copeland and White - Erie BayHawks
- Jam Outrun Stampede - Bakersfield Jam
- Stampede Beaten by Bakersfield - Idaho Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley Vipers Stories
- Vipers Outlast the Warriors
- RGV Vipers Stomp the Mad Ants
- Troy Williams Leads High-Energy Vipers Past the Blue
- RGV Vipers Roll Through Austin Spurs
- Troy Williams Lifts Vipers over Wolves