Red Claws Topple Ants, 109-99
PORTLAND, ME -The Maine Red Claws (7-3) remain perfect against the Fort Wayne Mad Ants (3-9), winning their fourth matchup of the season, 109-99, at the Portland Expo Building on Friday night. The Claws, who have averaged 113 ppg against the Mad Ants, once again used their high power offense to shut down Fort Wayne, who remains winless on the road.
Friday's contest certainly didn't start out in Maine's favor, as Fort Wayne forward Tony Mitchell came out strong, scoring the Mad Ants first nine points. The Red Claws hung around, but Fort Wayne used a 10-2 run to close out the first quarter with a 30-20 lead.
Maine cut the lead to one with a 9-0 run to open the second quarter, with Shelvin Mack's 12 points in the quarter leading the charge. The teams traded 7-0 runs after that and battled back and forth through the remainder of the quarter with neither team being able to get a lead larger than four. A Xavier Silas buzzer beater gave the Red Claws a 51-50 lead going into the locker room.
The halftime break did not cool the Red Claws, as an 11-2 and 14-4 run powered by double-doubles from Mack and Chris Wright pushed their lead to 82-69 after three frames. The fourth quarter was a back-and-forth battle, but Maine was able to maintain their double-digit lead, closing out the 109-99 victory.
Leading the way for the Mad Ants was a 30-point, five-rebound, four-assist effort from Ron Howard, who led all scorers. Also contributing were Mitchell (16 points, eight rebounds), Mike Anderson (16 points, six rebounds), JaJuan Johnson (15 points, five rebounds) and Sadiel Rojas (14 points, five rebounds).
The Red Claws were led by Mack's 27 point, 12 assist effort. They also got solid performances from Wright (22 points, 15 rebounds, four steals), Silas (19), Micah Downs (10 points, seven rebounds, five assists), Dajuan Summers (nine points), Chris Ayer (eight points, three blocks) and Fab Melo (eight points, six rebounds).
The Red Claws will host the Erie BayHawks tomorrow night at 7 PM in the team's annual Holiday Party game. Special guests will include Santa and Mrs. Claus and all kids in the audience will have the opportunity to join Red Claws mascot Crusher in the annual Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree kids' dance on the court. The Mad Ants will also be in action tomorrow, traveling to Springfield to face the Armor at the MassMutual Center at 7 PM.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 21, 2012
- Legends Overcome 17-Point Deficit to Defeat Skyforce - Texas Legends
- Vipers Halt Charge Winning Streak - Canton Charge
- Second-Half Surge Lifts Tulsa Past Iowa - Tulsa 66ers
- Vipers Top Charge in Overtime - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Austin Toros Lose at Home 98-97 - Austin Spurs
- Selby Leads Bighorns Past Torors - Reno Bighorns
- Shengelia Shines as Armor Fall to BayHawks - Springfield Armor
- Red Claws Topple Ants, 109-99 - Maine Red Claws
- Reggie Jackson Assigned to Tulsa 66ers - Tulsa 66ers
- Oklahoma City Thunder Re-Assign Reggie Jackson to NBA D-League Affiliate Tulsa 66ers - G League
- Philadelphia 76ers Assign Arnett Moultrie to NBA D-League Affiliate Sioux Falls Skyforce - G League
- Bighorns Owner Santos Appointed to Tourism Commission - Reno Bighorns
- Time Warner Cable Sportsnet to Televise Los Angeles D-Fenders Games - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Skyforce Partners with Local Knights of Columbus Councils to Host Free Throw Contests - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Celtics Recall Joseph from Maine Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Brooklyn Assigns Tornike Shengelia, Tyshawn Taylor to NBA D-League Affiliate Springfield Armor - G League
- Brooklyn Nets Assign Shengelia and Taylor to Springfield - Springfield Armor
- Knicks Recall Stoudemire, Copeland and White - Erie BayHawks
- Jam Outrun Stampede - Bakersfield Jam
- Stampede Beaten by Bakersfield - Idaho Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.