Vipers Outshine Suns in Road Trip Win
PRESCOTT VALLEY, Arizona - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers (10-19) bounced back and earned a win on the road against Northern Arizona Suns (7-20), 125-114, on Tuesday afternoon.
RGV led the first quarter 33-31 while Brandon Sampson racked up 10 points. He shot 4-5 from the field and 2-3 from beyond the arc. For Northern Arizona, Ahmed Hill led the team with six points.
Although it had been a close one, the Vipers continued to lead the matchup against the Suns 70-62 going into the half. Houston Rockets two-way player William Howard went off as he totaled 18 points adding nine boards. RGV shot 53.8 percent from the field and made nine three-pointers.
Three other players hit the double-digits at the end of the half; Sampson (14), Jacobi Boykins (12) and Jaron Blossomgame (10) both off the bench. Meanwhile, two starters hit the double figures for the Suns; Phoenix Suns assignee Jalen Lecque (13) and Suns two-way player Tariq Owens (10).
Rio Grande Valley continued to put a show on for the kids this afternoon as they had a 22-point lead throughout the third quarter but ended the quarter 103-85. At this point, Howard posted a double-double with 23 points and 10 rebounds. Lecque totaled 17 points and five rebounds while contributing two assists.
RGV tallied their biggest lead of the game with 28 points after Blossomgame put in a floating shot at the 8:12 minute mark. The Suns tried to make a comeback, but the Vipers did not want to give up their lead.
The Vipers wrapped up game one of their road trip with six players in the double figures; Howard (25, 11 rebounds), Isaiah Taylor (19, seven assists), Sampson (18), Sindarius Thornwell (10), Boykins (22) and Blossomgame (17, nine rebounds) off the bench. Howard's 25 points were the highest he has scored with RGV.
For the Suns, four players hit the double-digits; Suns two-way player Jared Harper (24), Lecque (19), Owens (14, 10 rebounds) and Hill (19) coming off the bench. All 10 players who put in minutes for Northern Arizona tallied a lone steal.
Rio Grande Valley shot 48.5 percent from the field and made a total of 14 three-pointers. Northern Arizona shot 50.0 percent from the field and made 12 three-pointers.
The Vipers continue their road trip as they head to South Dakota for a back-to-back series against Sioux Falls Skyforce. First matchup is on Friday, January 24 at 7 p.m. CT. Watch here. For more information, contact the RGV Vipers at 956-56-ARENA or visit www.rgvipers.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 21, 2020
- Allen, Moore Combine for 53 Points; Not Enough at Capital City - Westchester Knicks
- Mfiondu Kabengele Named G League Player of the Week - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Go-Go Acquire London Perrantes - Capital City Go-Go
- Charge Acquire Rights to Gabe York - Canton Charge
- Blue Coats Acquire Justin Robinson - Delaware Blue Coats
- All Three Phoenix Suns Players Shine in NAZ Suns' Loss to Vipers - Northern Arizona Suns
- Vipers Outshine Suns in Road Trip Win - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Raptors 905 Acquire Forward Henry Ellenson - Raptors 905
- Long Island Nets Acquire Justin Anderson in Trade with Raptors 905 - Long Island Nets
- Jalen Lecque Assigned to Northern Arizona Suns - Northern Arizona Suns
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.