Vipers Fall 117-109 to Texas
HIDALGO, Texas, December 4, 2014 - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers (4-4) fell 117-109 to the Texas Legends (5-2) tonight at State Farm Arena.
Akil Mitchell led the Vipers with a double 22 points and 10 rebounds, and shot 81.8.percent from the field. Earl Clark scored 20 points and 11 rebounds. Tony Bishop also added 20 points. Gary Talton tallied a double-double 15 points and 12 assists.
Eric Griffin led the Legends with 28 points and 10 rebounds, followed by Renaldo Balkman with 24 points and 15 rebounds. Doron Lamb added 21 points. Bubu Palo scored 18 points, and Damion James added 16 points and 12 rebounds.
Justin Jackson put the first basket on the board with an alley oop, assisted by Lamb. Bishop responded with a three-pointer for the Vipers to put RGV up 3-2, the Vipers' only lead of the game. By the end of the first quarter, Texas had built a 34-18 lead.
With 8:25 remaining in the second quarter, two free throws from Talton closed the Vipers deficit to 34-30. The Legends responded with a 12-0 run to take a 46-30 lead midway through the quarter. At the half, Texas was on top 60-45.
Talton made a shot from behind the arc with 1:29 left in the game to close in on Texas 112-109. James responded with a layup for the Legends, followed by a free throw from Lamb and a layup from Griffin to secure the Texas win.
The Vipers host the Idaho Stampede Saturday, December 6 at 7 p.m. (CT) at State Farm Arena. A tailgate will be held at 5 p.m. in the arena's east parking lot. Burgers and beverages will be provided by Pepper's at Uptown and L&F Distributors. Fans can follow the action live on FOX Sports 1700 AM or watch live at NBADLeague.com. For more information about the RGV Vipers 2014-15 season or to purchase season tickets, contact the Vipers at 956-972-1144.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 4, 2014
- Legends Hand Vipers First Home Loss - Texas Legends
- Vipers Fall 117-109 to Texas - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Stampede Trades for Lewis Jackson - Idaho Stampede
- Westchester Knicks Acquire Future Second Round Draft Pick - Westchester Knicks
- Celtics Assign Powell, Smart and Young to NBA D-League's Maine Red Claws - G League
- Santa Cruz Warriors Sign Dominique Sutton - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Thunder's Mitch McGary Assigned to NBA D-League's Oklahoma City Blue - G League
- McGary Assigned to Oklahoma City Blue - Oklahoma City Blue
- Coats for Kids Night December 7th - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Austin Spurs Announce Partnership with Dahill - Austin Spurs
- Cavs Assign Alex Kirk to NBA D-League's Canton Charge - G League
- Cavs Assign Alex Kirk to Canton Charge - Canton Charge
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.