Legends Hand Vipers First Home Loss
HIDALGO, TX - The Texas Legends hit the road to take on the Rio Grande Valley Vipers in the first matchup of the two teams this season. Rio Grande Valley fought to overcome a 20-point deficit, but the Legends held tight and handed the Vipers their first loss on their home court this season.
The Vipers took a 3-2 advantage before a minute came off the clock, but that would be their first and last lead of the game. The Legends stormed through the first quarter, going up 34-18. The Vipers struck back with a 12-0 run to start the second, but the Legends then responded with a 12-0 run of their own and ultimately went into the locker room up 60-45.
Double free throws both started and ended the third quarter as Doron Lamb increased the Legends lead immediately to 17 and the Vipers hit 2 to narrow the gap to 9 heading into the final minutes. Gary Talton hit a 3 with just under a minute and a half left to make it a 3-point game. Damion James then grabbed his own rebound and increased the lead to 5, then smothered the hopes of the Vipers grabbing his 10th defensive board of the night to give the Legends control with 14 seconds on the clock. Eric Griffin hit the last basket to seal the Legends 117-109 victory.
Texas had three players with double-doubles on the night. Griffin led the team with a season-high 28 points and 10 rebounds, Renaldo Balkman added 24 points and 15 rebounds, and James posted 16 points, 12 rebounds and a team-high 7 assists.
Akil Mitchell led the Vipers with 22 points and 10 rebounds, while Tony Bishop and Earl Clark added 20 points each.
The Legends return to Frisco tomorrow to host the Oklahoma City Blue at 7pm on Chihuahua Court. For tickets or information call 214-469-0822 or visit www.TexLegends.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 4, 2014
- Legends Hand Vipers First Home Loss - Texas Legends
- Vipers Fall 117-109 to Texas - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Stampede Trades for Lewis Jackson - Idaho Stampede
- Westchester Knicks Acquire Future Second Round Draft Pick - Westchester Knicks
- Celtics Assign Powell, Smart and Young to NBA D-League's Maine Red Claws - G League
- Santa Cruz Warriors Sign Dominique Sutton - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Thunder's Mitch McGary Assigned to NBA D-League's Oklahoma City Blue - G League
- McGary Assigned to Oklahoma City Blue - Oklahoma City Blue
- Coats for Kids Night December 7th - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Austin Spurs Announce Partnership with Dahill - Austin Spurs
- Cavs Assign Alex Kirk to NBA D-League's Canton Charge - G League
- Cavs Assign Alex Kirk to Canton Charge - Canton Charge
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.