Vipers Add Mahmoud Abdelfattah and Brandon Barnes to Coaching Staff
EDINBURG, Texas - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers, NBA G League Affiliate to the Houston Rockets, announced today the promotion of Mahmoud Abdelfattah to assistant coach and the hiring of Brandon Barnes as assistant coach.
Abdelfattah originally joined the Vipers staff in 2017-18 as a basketball operations assistant. He worked under former RGV Head Coach and current Houston Rockets Assistant Coach, Matt Brase and current RGV Head Coach, Joseph Blair. In addition to working on the staff in RGV, Abdelfattah has also served as an Assistant Coach for the Palestinian National team in 2015 and 2018. Prior to RGV, Abdelfattah worked as an assistant coach at his alma mater St. Cloud State for four seasons, where he oversaw the player development program and led the recruiting efforts for the Huskies. He was also an assistant coach at Perspective Charter School for the 2012-13 season. Abdelfattah began his coaching career as a student assistant coach at St. Cloud State in 2010.
"Mahmoud was an invaluable part of our staff last season and has proven he's ready to assume an even larger role this season. His work ethic, familiarity with our system and versatile skill set make him an ideal fit for the RGV Vipers. We are thrilled to have Mahmoud back in the Valley," commented Vipers General Manager, Jim Paulis.
Barnes, the son of 2011 Naismith National Coach of the Year Rod Barnes, has spent the last three seasons as Director of Basketball Operations for the CSU Bakersfield Roadrunners. He helped the program win the WAC Championship in 2017 and earn a spot in the NIT Final 4. At CSU Bakersfield, Barnes had a major role in opponent scouting, game preparation and film breakdown. Prior to CSU Bakersfield, Barnes was the head boy's basketball coach at Perris High School. Barnes began his college playing career at Lipscomb University before finishing his career and earning his degree at CSU Bakersfield where he served as a team captain. In addition to being a collegiate player, Barnes has 10 years of player development experience working with college, international, and G League players.
"Brandon is a rising young coach who will make an immediate impact in RGV with his defensive mindset and strong player development philosophies. He is a student of the game and has been exposed to high level basketball his entire life. We are confident Brandon will be a wonderful addition to our staff," Paulis added.
The Vipers open the 2018-19 NBA G League season at home against Memphis on November 3 at 7 p.m. Season tickets for the Vipers 2018-19 season are on sale now. For more information, contact the RGV Vipers at 956-56-ARENA or visit www.rgvipers.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 2, 2018
- Stars Win Season Opener in Iowa - Salt Lake City Stars
- Mad Ants Drop Season Opener to Sioux Falls - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Wolves' Defensive Struggles Prove Costly in Season Opener - Iowa Wolves
- BayHawks Stop the Drive - Erie BayHawks
- Hustle Hit the Road with Carter in Tow - Memphis Hustle
- Knicks Sour Red Claws' Opener - Maine Red Claws
- Drive Drop Season Opener in Erie - Grand Rapids Drive
- Stars Tip off 2018-19 Campaign - Salt Lake City Stars
- Vipers Add Mahmoud Abdelfattah and Brandon Barnes to Coaching Staff - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Jon Bloom Returns as Voice of NAZ Suns for Third Season - Northern Arizona Suns
- NBA G League Embarks on 18th Season with Record 27 Teams - G League
- Windy City Bulls Home Opener Tonight at 7:00 PM - Windy City Bulls
- Windy City Bulls Announce Opening Night Roster - Windy City Bulls
- Detroit Pistons Assign Henry Ellenson and Khyri Thomas to Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- Vipers Announce Opening Day Roster - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Agua Caliente Casino Resorts Extends Partnership with Clippers - Agua Caliente Clippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley Vipers Stories
- Suns Eclipse Vipers to Earn Eighth Win of the Season
- Thirteen Athletes Confirmed for USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team February Training Camp
- Bruno Caboclo Named to All-G League Mid-Season Western Conference Team
- South Bay Loses Heartbreaker to Rio Grande Valley
- Stars Edged by Vipers