USL Championship Revamps Playoff Format for 2019
TAMPA - With the United Soccer League (USL) Championship announcing its schedule on Thursday, it also announced a new playoff format for the 2019 season. As a result of expanding to 36 teams, the USL Championship will also expand to 20 playoff teams, 10 in each conference. There will also be an added "Play-In Round" the midweek prior to the first weekend of the postseason.
More expansion teams means more playoff teams. The addition of seven USL Championship expansion teams means that 20 of the 36 total teams will now reach the postseason, the top 10 from each of the Western and Eastern Conference. Like last year, the higher seed will host each game in the USL Championship playoffs.
In 2019, the 7-10 seeds will play in a play-in round. The round will take place on the Wednesday after the season finishes and before the first playoff weekend. The No. 7 seed will host No. 10 and No. 8 will host No. 9. Then the lowest remaining seed of those games will travel to take on the No. 1 seed while the better seed will play the No. 2 team. It should make for a fun playoff appetizer before the first weekend of the postseason.
What it means for Nashville SC
If you remember last year, then you know that it came down to the final week of the season for Nashville SC to clinch a playoff spot as the final Eastern Conference team in the playoffs, the No. 8 seed. Now, the No. 8 seed will be in a little more comfortably, with 10 teams getting in the field.
The bigger takeaway for Nashville SC fans might be the introduction of the Play-In Round. While it does mean a couple of lower seeded teams get to host a playoff game, it also means that the winners of the play-in games have to turn right back around 3 days later and play the No. 1 and 2 seeds. That creates a distinct advantage for the top two teams, who themselves have had a full week's rest prior to the playoffs starting.
A top four seed is still critical because it means hosting the first weekend, but now, the top two seeds will be even more coveted under the new format.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from December 19, 2018
- United Soccer League Announces 2019 Sounders FC 2 Schedule - Tacoma Defiance
- USL Championship Revamps Playoff Format for 2019 - Nashville SC
- Rio Grande Valley FC Reveals 2019 USL Championship Season Schedule - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- 2019 USL Championship Schedule Unveiled - Loudoun United
- New Mexico United Signs 3 More Dynamic Players - New Mexico United
- 2019 USL Championship Schedule Unveiled - Charlotte Independence
- Nashville SC's 2019 Schedule Unveiled by USL Championship - Nashville SC
- Phoenix Rising Releases Full Schedule for 2019 Season - Phoenix Rising FC
- Energy FC 2019 Schedule Released - OKC Energy FC
- Saint Louis FC 2019 Schedule Revealed - Saint Louis FC
- Atlanta United 2 Announces 2019 Regular Season Schedule - Atlanta United 2
- United Soccer League Unveils 2019 USL Championship Schedule - North Carolina FC
- Louisville City FC Announces 2019 USL Championship Schedule, New Playoff Format Unveiled - Louisville City FC
- Memphis 901 FC Reveals Full 2019 Schedule - Memphis 901 FC
- Indy Eleven 2019 USL Championship Schedule Unveiled - Indy Eleven
- Hounds' 2019 Schedule Unveiled - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Charleston Battery Announces 2019 Schedule - Charleston Battery
- 2019 Switchbacks FC Schedule Unveiled - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Announces Full 2019 USL Championship Schedule - Real Monarchs SLC
- 2019 USL Championship Schedule Unveiled - USL
- News | Fresno FC Announces 2019 USL Championship Schedule - Fresno FC
- Austin Bold FC Announces Full 2019 USL Championship Schedule - Austin Bold FC
- Republic FC Announce 2019 USL Championship Regular-Season Schedule - Sacramento Republic FC
- San Antonio FC Announces 2019 USL Championship Schedule - San Antonio FC
- Louisville City FC Adds Forward Sunny Jane - Louisville City FC
- Update on Ottawa Fury FC Sanctioning - Ottawa Fury FC
- Louisville City FC Officially Re-Signs Goalkeeper Tim Dobrowolski - Louisville City FC
- Juan Guerra Joins Indy Eleven as Assistant Coach - Indy Eleven
- Club Issues Statement on Greg Ranjitsingh and Kyle Smith - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Randall Leal Called up to Costa Rica National Team for November CONCACAF Nations League Matches
- Doolsta Excited to Compete in First International FIFA 20 Competition of the Season
- Pickens, Tribbett, Davis Named to USL Championship All-Opta First Team
- Samuel Abraham Crowned Champion of Tennessee EA Sports FIFA 20 Challenge
- Nashville SC to Auction 2019 Branded Stadium Signage with All Proceeds Going to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital