Update on Ottawa Fury FC Sanctioning
OTTAWA - Ottawa Fury FC today announced that it is seeking urgent relief from the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in respect of sanctioning for its participation in the USL Championship level professional soccer in 2019. Sanctioning has already been confirmed by Canada Soccer and by the United States Soccer Federation, but has been called into question by CONCACAF, the governing body for soccer in North America. The rules governing the Canadian Soccer Association and CONCACAF require that such disputes be heard by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
The CAS, based in Lausanne, Switzerland, was established by the International Olympic Committee, as an independent authority to pronounce binding decisions on sports organizations for dispute resolution.
"We are on the clock," said Mark Goudie, President and CEO of Fury FC's parent company, the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group (OSEG). "In the current situation, only 4-weeks before the scheduled start of training camp, Fury FC is unable to sign players or sell tickets because of the uncertainty surrounding the team's future. We need a rapid resolution to the dispute and that's what the CAS was established to provide."
Since this dispute is now before the CAS, Fury FC will not provide any further comment until a ruling has been made.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from December 19, 2018
- United Soccer League Announces 2019 Sounders FC 2 Schedule - Tacoma Defiance
- USL Championship Revamps Playoff Format for 2019 - Nashville SC
- Rio Grande Valley FC Reveals 2019 USL Championship Season Schedule - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- 2019 USL Championship Schedule Unveiled - Loudoun United
- New Mexico United Signs 3 More Dynamic Players - New Mexico United
- 2019 USL Championship Schedule Unveiled - Charlotte Independence
- Nashville SC's 2019 Schedule Unveiled by USL Championship - Nashville SC
- Phoenix Rising Releases Full Schedule for 2019 Season - Phoenix Rising FC
- Energy FC 2019 Schedule Released - OKC Energy FC
- Saint Louis FC 2019 Schedule Revealed - Saint Louis FC
- Atlanta United 2 Announces 2019 Regular Season Schedule - Atlanta United 2
- United Soccer League Unveils 2019 USL Championship Schedule - North Carolina FC
- Louisville City FC Announces 2019 USL Championship Schedule, New Playoff Format Unveiled - Louisville City FC
- Memphis 901 FC Reveals Full 2019 Schedule - Memphis 901 FC
- Indy Eleven 2019 USL Championship Schedule Unveiled - Indy Eleven
- Hounds' 2019 Schedule Unveiled - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Charleston Battery Announces 2019 Schedule - Charleston Battery
- 2019 Switchbacks FC Schedule Unveiled - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Announces Full 2019 USL Championship Schedule - Real Monarchs SLC
- 2019 USL Championship Schedule Unveiled - USL
- News | Fresno FC Announces 2019 USL Championship Schedule - Fresno FC
- Austin Bold FC Announces Full 2019 USL Championship Schedule - Austin Bold FC
- Republic FC Announce 2019 USL Championship Regular-Season Schedule - Sacramento Republic FC
- San Antonio FC Announces 2019 USL Championship Schedule - San Antonio FC
- Louisville City FC Adds Forward Sunny Jane - Louisville City FC
- Update on Ottawa Fury FC Sanctioning - Ottawa Fury FC
- Louisville City FC Officially Re-Signs Goalkeeper Tim Dobrowolski - Louisville City FC
- Juan Guerra Joins Indy Eleven as Assistant Coach - Indy Eleven
- Club Issues Statement on Greg Ranjitsingh and Kyle Smith - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.