Rio Grande Valley FC Reveals 2019 USL Championship Season Schedule
EDINBURG, Texas - Rio Grande Valley FC announced today the 2019 USL Championship season schedule, the fourth season for the Toros. This year's schedule features a total of 34 games, including 17 home games at H-E-B Park and 17 games on the road.
The Toros will open the season at Seattle Sounders FC 2 on Saturday, March 9, and will then host their home opener at H-E-B Park on Saturday, March 16 against Fresno FC. The Toros' final home game of the regular season will be on Friday, October 18 against the Portland Timbers 2 as they wrap up the 2019 USL Championship season. The Toros will play 16 home games on Saturday evening and one on Friday.
For the first time in the club's history, the Toros will have a returning head coach as Gerson Echeverry remains at the helm of the club as it enters its fourth season. "This season is special to both the league and the club. The new USL Championship brand has brought added visibility to the league as it enters its ninth season and we are excited to be joined by three new teams in just the Western Conference, including two new Texas rivals in Austin Bold FC and El Paso Locomotive FC," Toros CEO Rene Borrego said. "We look forward to having the support of the community as we get to experience history."
Rio Grande Valley will play each team in their conference twice, one game at home and the other on the road. The Western Conference is comprised of Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC, LA Galaxy II, OKC Energy FC, Orange County SC, Phoenix Rising FC, Portland Timbers 2, Real Monarchs SLC, Reno 1868 FC, Sacramento Republic FC, San Antonio FC, Seattle Sounders FC 2, and Tulsa Roughnecks.
There are three newcomers to the USL Championship's Western Conference in 2019, with El Paso Locomotive FC, New Mexico United and Austin Bold FC joining the league for their inaugural seasons. With the addition of El Paso and Austin, the USL Championship now features four teams based in Texas for the first time.
Expanded Format For 2019 USL Cup Playoffs
The 2019 USL Cup Playoffs will expand to include 10 teams from each conference, with the lowest four seeds in each conference opening the postseason in the Play-In Round, provisionally slated for Wednesday, October 23 with the No. 7 seed hosting the No. 10 seed and the No. 8 seed hosting the No. 9 seed for a place in the Conference Quarterfinals.
Following the Play-In Round, the two teams to advance will be placed into the main bracket for the Conference Quarterfinals, with the lower remaining seed facing the conference's No. 1 seed and the higher remaining seed facing the No. 2 seed.
The single-elimination format will then continue for the following four weekends in a fixed-bracket format with the higher seed in each matchup serving as host through the Eastern and Western Conference Finals. The 2019 USL Cup will be held between November 14-18, 2019 and be hosted by the conference champion with the better regular-season record.
2019 USL Cup Playoffs Schedule
Play-In Round - October 23
Conference Quarterfinals - October 25-27
Conference Semifinals - November 1-3
Conference Finals - November 8-10
USL Cup - November 14-18
Season tickets are now on sale and can be purchased by calling the RGV FC Toros at 956-279-6815 or by emailing [email protected]
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from December 19, 2018
- United Soccer League Announces 2019 Sounders FC 2 Schedule - Tacoma Defiance
- USL Championship Revamps Playoff Format for 2019 - Nashville SC
- Rio Grande Valley FC Reveals 2019 USL Championship Season Schedule - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- 2019 USL Championship Schedule Unveiled - Loudoun United FC
- New Mexico United Signs 3 More Dynamic Players - New Mexico United
- 2019 USL Championship Schedule Unveiled - Charlotte Independence
- Nashville SC's 2019 Schedule Unveiled by USL Championship - Nashville SC
- Phoenix Rising Releases Full Schedule for 2019 Season - Phoenix Rising FC
- Energy FC 2019 Schedule Released - OKC Energy FC
- Saint Louis FC 2019 Schedule Revealed - Saint Louis FC
- Atlanta United 2 Announces 2019 Regular Season Schedule - Atlanta United 2
- United Soccer League Unveils 2019 USL Championship Schedule - North Carolina FC
- Louisville City FC Announces 2019 USL Championship Schedule, New Playoff Format Unveiled - Louisville City FC
- Memphis 901 FC Reveals Full 2019 Schedule - Memphis 901 FC
- Indy Eleven 2019 USL Championship Schedule Unveiled - Indy Eleven
- Hounds' 2019 Schedule Unveiled - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Charleston Battery Announces 2019 Schedule - Charleston Battery
- 2019 Switchbacks FC Schedule Unveiled - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Announces Full 2019 USL Championship Schedule - Real Monarchs SLC
- 2019 USL Championship Schedule Unveiled - USL
- News | Fresno FC Announces 2019 USL Championship Schedule - Fresno FC
- Austin Bold FC Announces Full 2019 USL Championship Schedule - Austin Bold FC
- Republic FC Announce 2019 USL Championship Regular-Season Schedule - Sacramento Republic FC
- San Antonio FC Announces 2019 USL Championship Schedule - San Antonio FC
- Louisville City FC Adds Forward Sunny Jane - Louisville City FC
- Update on Ottawa Fury FC Sanctioning - Ottawa Fury FC
- Louisville City FC Officially Re-Signs Goalkeeper Tim Dobrowolski - Louisville City FC
- Juan Guerra Joins Indy Eleven as Assistant Coach - Indy Eleven
- Club Issues Statement on Greg Ranjitsingh and Kyle Smith - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley FC Toros Stories
- RGV FC Fall on the Road to El Paso
- Preview: USL Championship Back on Track as RGV Faces Locomotive
- RGV FC Toros Resume 2020 Season Behind Closed Doors
- RGV FC Sign Three Players Prior to USL Championship Kickoff
- Mid-Pandemic Opportunity Arises for Wermeling and McVoy