United Acquire Yamil Asad from Atlanta United
WASHINGTON (Feb. 13, 2018) - United have acquired Atlanta United's Argentine midfielder Yamil Asad in exchange for $200,000 General Allocation Money (GAM) and $100,000 Targeted Allocation Money (TAM) paid in 2018 and an additional $100,000 GAM and $100,000 TAM paid in 2019. In addition, Atlanta can also receive $100,000 in GAM if Asad appears in at least one MLS match in 2020.
The 23-year-old excelled in his MLS debut season, scoring seven goals (fourth top scorer on the team) and recording 13 assists for Atlanta. Asad was the third most featured player on the roster for the 2017 expansion team that scored the second most regular season goals in MLS last year. The midfielder also scored the first goal in club history for Atlanta in his league debut against the New York Red Bulls on March 5, 2017.
"Yamil is a bright talent in MLS, who was a major contributor to Atlanta's successful inaugural campaign," Dave Kasper, United general manager, said. "His pace, skill and creativity in wide areas will provide us with an additional attacking dimension. He's a young player who plays with a big personality and a high work rate, and he will continue to develop and improve with more experience in this league. We're thrilled to add him."
Asad was a creative linchpin for Atlanta's strong offense and led the team with 13 assists in 2017. The Argentine midfielder led Atlanta with 58 chances created, one more than Landon Donovan MLS Most Valuable Player Finalist Miguel Almirón (57). He led the team with 1,114 passes in the opposition's half and completed the fourth most successful passes (1,123). He was also threatening on the dribble and completed the fourth most successful dribbles (30) for Atlanta last season.
Asad played in the youth academy for Club Atlético Vélez Sarsfield of the Argentine Primera División and made his professional debut for the club as a substitute on April 14, 2013 against CA Colón in the Torneo Final. Asad scored five goals and recorded four assists in 55 appearances for the club before being loaned to Atlanta United on January 11, 2017.
He is the son of former Vélez Sarsfield player Omar Asad who scored the game-winner in the 2-0 win against A.C. Milan in the 1994 Intercontinental Cup. His father won eight Argentina Primera División titles and one Copa Libertadores during an eight year career. Omar Asad has coached and managed multiple teams in Argentina (Club Deportivo Godoy Cruz, San Lorenzo de Almagro, Club Sportivo Estudiantes), Mexico (Club Atlas) and Ecuador (C.S. Emelec) since he retired as a player in 2000.
Player: Yamil Asad
Birthplace: San Antonio de Padua, Argentina
Previous Club: Atlanta United (on loan from Club Atlético Vélez Sarsfield)
Transaction: United acquired Atlanta United's Yamil Asad in exchange for $200,000 in General Allocation Money and $100,000 in Targeted Allocation Money paid in 2018 and an additional $100,000 in GAM and $100,000 in TAM paid in 2019. In addition, Atlanta can also receive $100,000 in GAM if Asad appears in at least one MLS match in 2020.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 13, 2018
- Windy City Beats Raptors 905 99-91, Heads into All-Star Break Strong - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- Impact Faces Chicago Fire Wednesday Night in Bradenton - Montreal Impact
- Montreal Impact Soccer Schools Unveil March Programming - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC Signs Alex Roldan and Jordan McCrary - Seattle Sounders FC
- Fire Resume Preseason Slate with Friendly against Montreal Impact on Wednesday - Chicago Fire
- Revs Battle FC Dallas in Mobile Mini Sun Cup Opener on Wednesday - New England Revolution
- Sounders FC Announces IHeartMedia as New Radio Broadcast Partner, with 950 KJR AM Becoming Radio Flagship - Seattle Sounders FC
- Toronto FC Sign Defender Auro - Toronto FC
- Sporting KC Acquires $100,000 of General Allocation Money in Trade - Sporting Kansas City
- United Acquire Yamil Asad from Atlanta United - D.C. United
- Owundi Joins Pangop as Second Cameroon International with MNUFC - Minnesota United FC
- Atlanta United Acquires up to $600,000 in Allocation Money in Trade with D.C. United for Yamil Asad - Atlanta United FC
- Real Salt Lake Launches Innovative Local Streaming and Ticketing Partnership with KSL - Real Salt Lake
- FC Bayern Munich & FC Dallas Announce Landmark Player Development Partnership - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- D.C. United Win 1-0 against the Tampa Bay Rowdies in the Suncoast Invitational
- D.C. United Acquire Veteran Midfielder/Defender Chris McCann
- 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Format and Schedule Finalized
- United Sign Defender Akeem Ward
- United Re-Sign Defender Oniel Fisher to a Contract Extension