Owundi Joins Pangop as Second Cameroon International with MNUFC
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. (February 13, 2017) - Minnesota United has acquired Cameroon international defender Bertrand Owundi Eko'o on a free transfer from Rainbow FC. Owundi will join the Loons pending receipt of his P1 Visa and ITC and will occupy an international spot on Minnesota's roster.
"The thing we've tried to do this offseason is bring in some younger players who we feel have a chance of progressing and being big pieces for us moving forward," said Head Coach Adrian Heath. "For what we've got these kids for salary-wise, what we've had to give up, we think we've done really well. We're excited about what we've got with him and [Frantz] Pangop. We felt it wasn't a gamble, but an opportunity to bring in two young pieces for not a lot of financial output that we think have got huge upside."
The 24-year-old Owundi is a left-sided defender with an imposing stature at 6'2" who was recently signed by Rainbow FC, which brought Ambroise Oyongo, Eric Ayuk and Nouhou Tolo to MLS among other young Cameroonian players.
"As we continue to build on the core of our roster for the future we have added another great young man to the group," said Sporting Director Manny Lagos. "Owundi is a strong and powerful player with great athleticism who reads the game incredibly well. As a player with Cameroonian national team experience under his belt, we feel he has a lot of potential and can develop into a high-level defender in MLS."
Becoming a 2018 season ticket holder today guarantees you a seat at Allianz Field in 2019. Get your tickets for next season at MNUFC.COM or by calling 763.4SOCCER.
Transaction: Minnesota United acquires Bertrand Owundi Eko'o on a free transfer from Rainbow FC.
Bertrand Owundi Eko'o
Last club: Rainbow FC
Birthplace: Ekono, Cameroon
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 13, 2018
- Windy City Beats Raptors 905 99-91, Heads into All-Star Break Strong - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- Impact Faces Chicago Fire Wednesday Night in Bradenton - Montreal Impact
- Montreal Impact Soccer Schools Unveil March Programming - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC Signs Alex Roldan and Jordan McCrary - Seattle Sounders FC
- Fire Resume Preseason Slate with Friendly against Montreal Impact on Wednesday - Chicago Fire
- Revs Battle FC Dallas in Mobile Mini Sun Cup Opener on Wednesday - New England Revolution
- Sounders FC Announces IHeartMedia as New Radio Broadcast Partner, with 950 KJR AM Becoming Radio Flagship - Seattle Sounders FC
- Toronto FC Sign Defender Auro - Toronto FC
- Sporting KC Acquires $100,000 of General Allocation Money in Trade - Sporting Kansas City
- United Acquire Yamil Asad from Atlanta United - D.C. United
- Owundi Joins Pangop as Second Cameroon International with MNUFC - Minnesota United FC
- Atlanta United Acquires up to $600,000 in Allocation Money in Trade with D.C. United for Yamil Asad - Atlanta United FC
- Real Salt Lake Launches Innovative Local Streaming and Ticketing Partnership with KSL - Real Salt Lake
- FC Bayern Munich & FC Dallas Announce Landmark Player Development Partnership - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota United FC Stories
- MNUFC Show Steely Determination in 1-1 Draw with SKC
- MNUFC Match Preview
- Allianz Field Selected as Venue to Host 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup
- MNUFC Captain Francisco Calvo Receives Call-Up to Costa Rica's Squad for 2018 World Cup
- MNUFC Sunken by Penalties in 3-1 Loss