Sounders FC Announces IHeartMedia as New Radio Broadcast Partner, with 950 KJR AM Becoming Radio Flagship
SEATTLE, WASH. - Seattle Sounders FC today announced that it has come to an agreement with iHeartMedia Seattle, making Sports Radio 950 KJR AM the English-language home of the Rave Green. The new multi-year deal is the first of its kind between the Rave Green and Seattle sports legacy station 950 KJR, with the regional radio affiliate operating on Puget Sound since 1922.
"We're incredibly excited and proud to open this new chapter of Sounders FC radio broadcasting with iHeartMedia," said Sounders FC Chief Operating Officer Bart Wiley. "KJR is a Seattle sports institution, and our new partner brings a second-to-none production quality and institutional knowledge of broadcasting to our club. We believe this partnership provides the best platform for elevating the thorough, insightful coverage of Sounders FC that our fans deserve."
All home and away Sounders FC MLS matches are to be carried on 950 KJR AM, including a 30-minute pregame and 30-minute postgame show surrounding each contest. Former KJR producer Matt Johnson reprises his play-by-play role with Sounders FC radio, alongside a number of talented Seattle soccer analysts, including former Sounder players Wade Webber and Danny Jackson, in addition to Seattle University Head Coach and longtime Sounders FC analyst Pete Fewing. Additionally, the station is set to carry an hour-long Sounders FC weekly show, scheduled to air at 7:00 p.m. PT every Tuesday evening throughout the season.
"We couldn't be more excited to partner with the most successful MLS franchise, the Seattle Sounders," said Robert Dove, President of the Pacific Northwest Region for iHeartMedia. "We are very much looking forward to showcasing the Sounders product on 950 KJR and connecting with their powerful and passionate fans. This is an incredible opportunity to share our over three million person reach across all our brands to build on the already incredible Seattle Sounders fan base."
"KJR has a long and significant legacy in Seattle," said Sounders FC Head Coach Brian Schmetzer. "Growing up in this city, I've listened to the station myself for many years, and I'm now looking forward to working with KJR in this new partnership to bring our club's amazing fans even closer to the team."
iHeartMedia is the leading media outlet in the Seattle market with multiple platforms, including its broadcast stations; live events; data; and its digital businesses and platforms, including mobile, social and its own iHeartRadio, iHeartMedia's free all-in-one digital music, podcasting and live streaming radio service - with more than 1.7 billion app downloads and 110 million registered users.
Sounders FC opens its slate of matches on 950 KJR AM with its MLS season-opener against expansion side Los Angeles FC. That contest is set for a 2:00 p.m. PT kickoff at CenturyLink Field in the first-ever matchup between the two Western Conference sides.
Prior to opening its 2018 MLS slate against Los Angeles FC on March 4, Sounders FC faces Salvadoran club Santa Tecla FC in the Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League, the region's premier club championship, with the first leg in El Salvador on February 22 and the second leg at CenturyLink Field on March 1. Sounders FC season tickets are still available, including new 2018 seating options in the 300-level, as well single-match tickets for each of Seattle's home matches. For complete information, details and pricing on 2018 Sounders FC season tickets, fans should visit SoundersFC.com/tickets, call 877-MLS-GOAL or email Sales@SoundersFC.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 13, 2018
- Windy City Beats Raptors 905 99-91, Heads into All-Star Break Strong - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- Impact Faces Chicago Fire Wednesday Night in Bradenton - Montreal Impact
- Montreal Impact Soccer Schools Unveil March Programming - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC Signs Alex Roldan and Jordan McCrary - Seattle Sounders FC
- Fire Resume Preseason Slate with Friendly against Montreal Impact on Wednesday - Chicago Fire
- Revs Battle FC Dallas in Mobile Mini Sun Cup Opener on Wednesday - New England Revolution
- Sounders FC Announces IHeartMedia as New Radio Broadcast Partner, with 950 KJR AM Becoming Radio Flagship - Seattle Sounders FC
- Toronto FC Sign Defender Auro - Toronto FC
- Sporting KC Acquires $100,000 of General Allocation Money in Trade - Sporting Kansas City
- United Acquire Yamil Asad from Atlanta United - D.C. United
- Owundi Joins Pangop as Second Cameroon International with MNUFC - Minnesota United FC
- Atlanta United Acquires up to $600,000 in Allocation Money in Trade with D.C. United for Yamil Asad - Atlanta United FC
- Real Salt Lake Launches Innovative Local Streaming and Ticketing Partnership with KSL - Real Salt Lake
- FC Bayern Munich & FC Dallas Announce Landmark Player Development Partnership - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Receives $50,000 in General Allocation Money from Vancouver for Rights to Andy Rose
- Sounders FC Exercises Options on 10 Players
- Sounders FC Announces 2018 Team Awards
- Alliance Council Unveils Results of 2018 General Manager Vote at Alliance Annual Business Meeting
- Five Sounders FC Players Called into International Duty