United Acquire Jamaican National Team Player Oniel Fisher
WASHINGTON (Feb. 7, 2018) - United have acquired Jamaican National Team defender Oniel Fisher from Seattle Sounders FC in exchange for $50,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM).
The 26-year-old has made 27 MLS appearances (18 starts) in three seasons with Seattle after he was selected by the Sounders in the second round (40th overall) of the 2015 MLS SuperDraft. Fisher made his professional debut for Seattle as a substitute in the 0-0 draw against FC Dallas on March 29, 2015. He recorded his first career assist in a 5-0 win against Dallas on July 13, 2016.
"Oniel is a versatile defender who has proven that he can compete to be a starter in this league," Dave Kasper, United General Manager said. "His speed and ability to get forward in the attack, along with his sound defensive ability, provides us with a solid option at either outside back positions. We look forward to integrating Oniel into the team immediately."
Fisher, a Portmore, Jamaica native, has 14 caps for the Jamaican Men's National Team and he made his debut for the Reggae Boyz when he came on as a substitute in the 3-1 win against Trinidad and Tobago on Aug. 10, 2010 in an international friendly. In 2017, Fisher started in four of Jamaica's six games in the 2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup including a 90 minute performance in the 2-1 loss to the U.S. Men's National Team in the final. He joins Jamaican teammate and new Black-and-Red signing, Darren Mattocks.
Prior to his 2015 MLS SuperDraft selection, Fisher played two years for the University of New Mexico (2013-2014) and was the first player in program history to be selected to a national team roster.
Player: Oniel Fisher
Birthplace: Portmore, Jamaica
Previous Club: Seattle Sounders
Status: Green Card
Transaction: United acquired Jamaican defender Oniel Fisher from the Seattle Sounders in exchange for $50,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 7, 2018
- FC Dallas Draws Santa Tecla FC 1-1 in Preseason Friendly - FC Dallas
- Seattle Puts Six Goals Past California United in Tucson Preseason Match - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Finishes Arizona Trip with 1-1 Draw against the San Jose Earthquakes - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting KC Unveils New Black Secondary Jersey - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Dallas Agrees to One-Year Affiliation Extension with USL Side Oklahoma City Energy FC - FC Dallas
- Quakes, RSL Draw 1-1 in Final Tucson Friendly - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Receives $50,000 in General Allocation Money from D.C. United in Exchange for Oniel Fish - Seattle Sounders FC
- United Acquire Jamaican National Team Player Oniel Fisher - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake Signs Midfielder Damir Kreilach - Real Salt Lake
- New York City FC Unveil New 2018 Away Jersey - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- United Announce That UMD and UVA Will Play at Audi Field in September
- Audi Field to Host Washington Spirit and Portland Thorns on August 25
- Date Changed for United's Away Game against LAFC in May
- D.C. United and Fanatics Announce Multichannel Retail Partnership for Audi Field
- Date Changed for United's Away Game against Toronto FC in April