Seattle Puts Six Goals Past California United in Tucson Preseason Match
TUCSON, ARIZ. - After playing two weekend exhibition matches against MLS foes Portland and Columbus, Seattle Sounders FC played its penultimate friendly of its Tucson training camp on Wednesday afternoon, earning a 6-0 victory over lower division side California United FC in a 75-minute scrimmage. Uruguayan playmaker Nicolás Lodeiro led the way for Seattle, providing four assists to Jordan Morris and Chad Marshall, who each bagged a pair of goals. With an overall preseason competition record of 3-1-0, Seattle and California United will field new sides tomorrow morning at the University of Arizona's Mulcahy Soccer Stadium in a second friendly match. That contest is Sounders FC's final preseason game in Tucson, with Brian Schmetzer's side returning to the Emerald City on Thursday evening.
Marshall got his club off to a fast start, rising to meet a Lodeiro free-kick from the right side of California United's area. The 14-year MLS pro made quick work of the opportunity, heading his chance home to put his side into a 1-0 lead.
In the 30th minute, Seattle forward Morris won a penalty for his club after being dragged down by a California United defender during one of his signature bursting runs through the opposing backline. Lodeiro once again made his mark, this time converting the spot-kick calmly past the opposing goalkeeper to give his side a 2-0 advantage.
Marshall bagged a brace in the 34th minute, this time off a Lodeiro corner-kick, with the veteran centerback beating United's defenders with another header.
Cristian Roldan added to Seattle's dominant display just two minutes later, slotting a far-post shot past California United's goalkeeper, padding Seattle's lead at 4-0 heading into the intermission.
Morris secured Seattle's victory with two second-half goals, with both strikes being supplied by Lodeiro's incisive passing. The first tally came in the 59th minute, with arguably the goal of the day coming three minutes later, as Lodeiro held-up play before laying the ball off to Morris in the middle of an evasive run. The Mercer Island native chipped the ball toward the far post before wheeling away in celebration.
Sounders FC's 2018 preseason presented by adidas concludes tomorrow in Tucson, with Brian Schmetzer's side returning to the Pacific Northwest on Thursday evening. Prior to the MLS regular season starting on March 4, Sounders FC is set to face Salvadoran club Santa Tecla FC in the Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League, the region's premier club championship, with the first leg in El Salvador on February 22 and the second leg at CenturyLink Field on March 1. Sounders FC season tickets are still available, including new 2018 seating options in the 300-level, as well single-match tickets for each of Seattle's home matches. For complete information, details and pricing on 2018 Sounders FC season tickets, fans should visit SoundersFC.com/tickets, call 877-MLS-GOAL or email Sales@SoundersFC.com.
Seattle Sounders FC 6 - California United FC 0
Wednesday, February 7, 2018
Venue: Mulcahy Soccer Stadium I Tucson, Arizona
Weather: 78 degrees and sunny
Attendance: Closed-door, 75-minute scrimmage
SEA - Chad Marshall (Nicolás Lodeiro) 15'
SEA - Nicolás Lodeiro (penalty) 31'
SEA - Chad Marshall (Nicolás Lodeiro) 34'
SEA - Cristian Roldan (Jordy Delem) 36'
SEA - Jordan Morris (Nicolás Lodeiro) 59'
SEA - Jordan Morris (Nicolás Lodeiro) 62'
Seattle Sounders FC - Stefan Frei; Kelvin Leerdam, Chad Marshall, Tony Alfaro, Waylon Francis; Jordy Delem, Cristian Roldan, Henry Wingo, Harry Shipp, Nicolás Lodeiro; Jordan Morris
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 7, 2018
- FC Dallas Draws Santa Tecla FC 1-1 in Preseason Friendly - FC Dallas
- Seattle Puts Six Goals Past California United in Tucson Preseason Match - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Finishes Arizona Trip with 1-1 Draw against the San Jose Earthquakes - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting KC Unveils New Black Secondary Jersey - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Dallas Agrees to One-Year Affiliation Extension with USL Side Oklahoma City Energy FC - FC Dallas
- Quakes, RSL Draw 1-1 in Final Tucson Friendly - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Receives $50,000 in General Allocation Money from D.C. United in Exchange for Oniel Fish - Seattle Sounders FC
- United Acquire Jamaican National Team Player Oniel Fisher - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake Signs Midfielder Damir Kreilach - Real Salt Lake
- New York City FC Unveil New 2018 Away Jersey - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Three Sounders FC Players Enter Standard USL Loan Agreements
- Svensson, Torres and Lodeiro Take Next Steps Toward 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia
- Sounders FC Surrenders Late Goal in 1-0 Road Loss to Portland
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Portland Timbers - May 13, 2018
- Sounders FC Announces Kickoff Time Changes for Two Matches, Date and Time Change for October Match vs. Houston