FC Dallas Draws Santa Tecla FC 1-1 in Preseason Friendly
FRISCO, Texas - (Wednesday, February 7) - FC Dallas drew fellow CONCACAF Champions League combatant, Salvadorian side Santa Tecla, 1-1, tonight at Toyota Stadium.
Maxi Urruti sent Tesho Akindele in on a breakaway with a perfectly timed pass that unlocked Santa Tecla's back line in the sixth minute of the match. Akindele dribbled to the end line before playing a pass back to Mauro Diaz, but a Santa Tecla defender intercepted the pass to snuff out the opportunity.
Santa Tecla took a 1-0 lead in the 20th minute after Wilms Torres received a pass inside the area and found defender Bryan Tamacas with a drop pass. Tamacas took a step inside before picking out the far side netting with a shot from close range.
Just before halftime Anton Nedyalkov worked his way up the left flank and crossed a ball in to Urruti, at the near side of the box. Urruti redirected a shot with his first touch but sent it just wide of the goal.
Urruti earned a free kick for FC Dallas in a dangerous spot on the right flank in the 53rd minute. Mauro Diaz sent in the cross, finding Akindele on the near side of the box and the 2014 MLS Rookie of the Year lobbed a header over Santa Tecla goalkeeper Joel Almedia to make it 1-1.
Akindle nearly netted his second of the match in the 71st minute when Diaz played a pass into the area for second-half substitute Ryan Hollingshead. In just his sixth minute on the pitch, Hollingshead set up Akindele with a one-touch drop pass. Akindele split two defenders with his shot but Almedia was in position to make the save and cover the rebound.
Urruti attempted to chip Almedia in the 77th minute but the goalkeeper held his line and tapped the shot over the crossbar for an FC Dallas corner kick.
ST - Bryan Tamacas (Wilms Torres) 20
DAL - Tesho Akindele (Mauro Diaz) 53
FC Dallas - Jimmy Maurer, Anton Nedyalkov, Reto Zeigler, Matt Hedges, Reggie Cannon, Carlos Gruezo (Jacori Hayes 62), Kellyn Acosta, Tesho Akindele (Cristian Colman 76), Mauro Diaz, Roland Lamah (Ryan Hollingshead 65), Maxi Urruti.
Santa Tecla - Joel Almedia, Bryan Tamacas, Yosimar Quinones, Roberto Dominguez, Andres Jaco, Wilms Torres (Marlin Cornejo 85), Fernando Quintanilla, Gersen Meyen (Alex Mendoza 90), Kevin Reyes (Liber Quinonez 76), Harold Alas (Gilberto Baires 67), Ricardo Ferreira (William Canales 76).
Substitutes not used: Joan Borahona, Hector Carbjal.
ST - Kevin Reyes (caution) 26
DAL - Carlos Gruezo (caution) 38
DAL - Maxi Urruti (caution) 66
DAL - Kellyn Acosta (caution) 85
ST - (caution) 90+2
Referee: Jorge Luna
Assistant Referees: Tony Obas, John Dearmond
Weather: Clear, 44
FC Dallas Head Coach Oscar Pareja
General Thoughts on the Match...
We didn't have a great flow in the game today. [Santa Tecla] is a good team. We didn't have the rhythm we wanted. For us, it's still early in the preseason. We were facing a team that was nine or 10 games into its season. This is pretty much the same style of game we are going to play in the first round of CONCACAF [Champions League]. Today's game was very useful for us. I am also thankful for the fans that came out today. It was beautiful to hear them chanting and helping the team.
On his starting back line being together for the first time...
We got better as the game went on. In the first half, we moved the ball well but we didn't get forward often enough. We found people in the middle, but we couldn't hurt them. Those are the baby steps you often see in the preseason. We're trying to build and put things together and trace the objectives that we put together at the beginning of the preseason. Today, against a good team, we had great intensity - it was positive for us.
On Reto Ziegler's First Match with the Team...
He brings experience. It is perceived by his teammates. That leadership is going to keep growing. You can tell. That is contagious. It is going to help.
On Mauro Diaz's Second Assist of the Preseason...
Mauro is getting better. He is working hard. All the players are. He's better than the Mauro that finished last season. That's good news. We're trying to have the player we did in 2016. That's what we're aiming for... I know he is doing the same.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 7, 2018
- FC Dallas Draws Santa Tecla FC 1-1 in Preseason Friendly - FC Dallas
- Seattle Puts Six Goals Past California United in Tucson Preseason Match - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Finishes Arizona Trip with 1-1 Draw against the San Jose Earthquakes - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting KC Unveils New Black Secondary Jersey - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Dallas Agrees to One-Year Affiliation Extension with USL Side Oklahoma City Energy FC - FC Dallas
- Quakes, RSL Draw 1-1 in Final Tucson Friendly - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Receives $50,000 in General Allocation Money from D.C. United in Exchange for Oniel Fish - Seattle Sounders FC
- United Acquire Jamaican National Team Player Oniel Fisher - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake Signs Midfielder Damir Kreilach - Real Salt Lake
- New York City FC Unveil New 2018 Away Jersey - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Dallas Stories
- FC Dallas Draws Vancouver Whitecaps FC, 2-2
- #FCDvVAN: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Match
- Toyota Stadium Selected as Host Venue for 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup
- FC Dallas Holds on to Defeat the LA Galaxy, 3-2
- #FCDvLA: 5 Things You Need to Know FC Dallas' 71st Match against the Galaxy