Union remain in first place in MLS' Eastern Conference after a 2-0 victory against Chicago
CHESTER, Pa. - The Eastern Conference-leading Philadelphia Union earned three points at home against Chicago on Saturday night. The win gives them a four point lead on second place D.C United. Marco Fabian scored the game-winning goal in the first half for his third goal of the season. Anthony Fontana secured the win with the Union's second goal, his first goal of the season. Andre Blake logged his 30th career MLS clean sheet. The Union return to action next weekend in Montreal on Saturday, July 27 vs. Montreal Impact (8:00 p.m. ET / PHL17).
Philadelphia Union 2 - Chicago Fire 0
Talen Energy Stadium (Chester, PA)
Saturday, July 20, 2019
TODAY'S MATCH INFO
Referee: Rubiel Vazquez
Assistant Referees: Jeremy Kieso, Andrew Bigelow
Fourth Official: Jon Freemon
VAR: Kevin Terry Jr
Weather: 93 degrees and sunny
PHI - Marco Fabian (Kai Wagner, Haris Medunjanin) 12'
PHI - Anthony Fontana, 65'
CHI - Brandt Bronico (caution) 8'
PHI - Kai Wagner (caution) 19'
PHI - Fafa Picault (caution) 84'
Philadelphia Union: Andre Blake; Raymon Gaddis, Jack Elliott, Auston Trusty, Kai Wagner; Haris Medunjanin; Alejandro Bedoya, Brenden Aaronson (Ilsinho, 77'); Marco Fabian (Anthony Fontana, 61'); Kacper Przybylko, Fafa Picault (Warren Creavalle, 90')
Substitutes not used: Joe Bendik; RJ Allen, Aurelien Collin, Andrew Wooten
Chicago Fire: Kenneth Kronholm; Brandt Bronico, Francisco Calvo, Johan Kappelhof, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Jorge Corrales (Grant Lillard, 42'); Nemanja Nikolic (Aleksandar Katai, 70'), Fabian Herbers, Djordje Mihailovic (Diego Campos, 70'), Przemyslaw Frankowsk; Dax McCarty; Aleksa; CJ Sapong
Substitutes not used: Richard Sanchez; Andre Reynolds, Marcelo, Jeremiah Gutjahr
Anthony Fontana scored his first goal of the regular season and second of his career.
Marco Fabian scored his fourth career MLS goal in his 13th MLS game.
Kai Wagner recorded his fifth assist of the season.
Andre Blake registered his third clean sheet of the season, his 30th career shutout.
Haris Medunjanin notched his sixth helper of the season, tied for second most on the team.
Jack Elliott made his 70th all-time appearance for the club.
The Union return to action with a road game on Saturday, July 27 vs. Montreal Impact (8:00 p.m. ET / PHL17).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 20, 2019
- Real Salt Lake Draws 1-1 with Minnesota United FC - Real Salt Lake
- Henry scores in milestone match but 'Caps fall to the Quakes - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FC Dallas Denies Sporting Kansas City in 2-0 Win - FC Dallas
- Sporting Falls 2-0 to FC Dallas - Sporting Kansas City
- Postgame Notes: Houston Dynamo 3-1 Toronto FC - Houston Dynamo
- Toronto FC (1) - Houston Dynamo (3) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Union remain in first place in MLS' Eastern Conference after a 2-0 victory against Chicago - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Falls 2-0 to Philadelphia Union at Talen Energy Stadium - Chicago Fire
- Dynamo Capture Crucial Road Win with 3-1 Victory over Toronto FC - Houston Dynamo
- Impact Suffers 2-1 Loss to Columbus Crew Sc - Montreal Impact
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Head North for Clash with Toronto FC - Houston Dynamo
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Portland Timbers - July 21, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Preview: Orlando City Host New York Red Bulls on Sunday - Orlando City SC
- Match Preview: New York Wraps up Two-Match Road Trip at Orlando - New York Red Bulls
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 3, LAFC 2 - Friday, July 19, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Falls 3-2 against the Galaxy on Friday Night at Dignity Health Sports Park - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Philadelphia Union Announce New Partnership with Parx Casino
- Philadelphia Union Sign Academy Product Jack de Vries as a Homegrown Player
- Philadelphia Union Announce Happy Hour Pricing at Talen Energy Stadium
- Union suffer defeat to Fire on road
- Union remain in first place in MLS' Eastern Conference after a 2-1 victory against Houston