Postgame Notes: Houston Dynamo 3-1 Toronto FC
Toronto FC 1-3 Houston Dynamo
MLS Regular Season - Week 20
Saturday, July 20, 2019
Improved Houston's record on the season to 9-9-3 and 2-8-0 on the road.
Improved Houston's record in July to 2-3-0.
Improved Houston's record against Eastern Conference opponents to 5-3-0 on the year.
Gave Houston its first road victory over an Eastern Conference team in 2019.
Snapped an eight-game losing streak away from BBVA Stadium this season.
The Dynamo scored first when MF Tommy McNamara found the net in the fourth minute. t was the 10th time this season that the Dynamo opened the scoring, and they are now 7-2-1 in those games.
The Dynamo led at halftime, 2-0. It was the eighth time this year that Houston led at halftime, and they improved to 6-1-1 in those games.
Houston scored three goals on the road for the second time this season and improved to 2-0-0 in those games.
This was the fourth time this season that Houston has scored at least three goals, and they are now 4-0-0 in those games.
Toronto dominated possession in the game, holding the ball for 68.4 percent of the contest. It was the 13th time this season that Houston had less of the ball than their opponent, and they improved to 5-7-1 in those games.
DYNAMO STARTING XI (4-3-3):
Tyler Deric; Adam Lundkvist, Maynor Figueroa, Kiki Struna, A.J. DeLaGarza; Boniek García (C), Matías Vera, Tomás Martínez; Memo Rodríguez, Mauro Manotas, Tommy McNamara
INDIVIDUAL PLAYER NOTES:
MF Tommy McNamara had a goal and an assist in the game. It was his third career game with a goal and an assist, and his first since Aug. 13, 2015 for New York City FC vs. D.C. United.
McNamara scored his second goal of the season when he bagged the game's opening goal in the fourth minute.
McNamara picked up his first assist of the year on FW Mauro Manotas' goal in the 57th minute.
McNamara continued to be the only Dynamo player to appear in every game across all competitions, making his 21st appearance in league play (seventh start) and 27th overall.
FW Mauro Manotas recorded a goal and an assist in the game. It was his fourth career game with at least one goal and an assist, and his first since Oct. 12, 2018 at Los Angeles FC.
Manotas scored his team-leading eighth goal of the season when he dribbled through Toronto's entire defense to score Houston's third goal of the night.
Manotas made his 20th appearance of the season. It will be his fourth consecutive season with at least 20 appearances in league play.
MF Tomás Martínez scored his fourth goal of the year - and his first game-winning goal of the season - when he banged home Houston's second goal in the 23rd minute.
Martínez made his 20th appearance of the year and his 19th start.
MF Memo Rodriguez notched his third assist of the season and the fourth of his career when he set up MF Tommy McNamara for the opening goal in the fourth minute.
Rodriguez returned to the starting lineup for the first time since May 25 at Minnesota and will make his mint start of the season.
DF Adam Lundkvist recorded his third assist of the season when he set up MF Tomás Martínez's game-winning goal.
Lundkvist made his 17th appearance of the season, setting a new career high. It will be his 16th start of the year.
GK Tyler Deric made his second consecutive appearance and the 85th of his career.
Deric earned his 28th career win in league play.
MF Juan David Cabezas made his 12th appearance of the season and his 45th career appearance when he entered the game for FW Mauro Manotas in the 79th minute.
DF A.J. DeLaGarza made his 18th start of the year and the 248th of his MLS career.
DF Maynor Figueroa made his 14th start and 14th appearance of the year tonight.
MF Boniek García made his 18th start of the year and the 185th of his Dynamo career.
García wore a special captain's armband featuring the Apollo 11 mission patch in honor of the 50th anniversary of the moon landing.
DF Kevin García made his ninth appearance of the year and the 27th of his career when he came on for DF A.J. DeLaGarza in the 59th minute.
FW Romell Quioto made his 70th appearance for the Dynamo and his 16th of the year when he came on for MF Memo Rodriguez in the 67th minute.
DF Kiki Struna made his 18th start of the year in league play.
MF Matías Vera made his 19th start in league play tonight.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 20, 2019
- Real Salt Lake Draws 1-1 with Minnesota United FC - Real Salt Lake
- Henry scores in milestone match but 'Caps fall to the Quakes - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FC Dallas Denies Sporting Kansas City in 2-0 Win - FC Dallas
- Sporting Falls 2-0 to FC Dallas - Sporting Kansas City
- Postgame Notes: Houston Dynamo 3-1 Toronto FC - Houston Dynamo
- Toronto FC (1) - Houston Dynamo (3) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Union remain in first place in MLS' Eastern Conference after a 2-0 victory against Chicago - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Falls 2-0 to Philadelphia Union at Talen Energy Stadium - Chicago Fire
- Dynamo Capture Crucial Road Win with 3-1 Victory over Toronto FC - Houston Dynamo
- Impact Suffers 2-1 Loss to Columbus Crew Sc - Montreal Impact
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Head North for Clash with Toronto FC - Houston Dynamo
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Portland Timbers - July 21, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Preview: Orlando City Host New York Red Bulls on Sunday - Orlando City SC
- Match Preview: New York Wraps up Two-Match Road Trip at Orlando - New York Red Bulls
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 3, LAFC 2 - Friday, July 19, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Falls 3-2 against the Galaxy on Friday Night at Dignity Health Sports Park - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- QuestTEXAS Ch.55 to Air All Locally-Televised Dynamo Matches in 2020 Season
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Close Group Play against LA Galaxy and Vie for Spot in Knockout Round
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Face Portland Timbers in Critical Group F Match
- Houston Dynamo Face LAFC to Open Group F in MLS Is Back Tournament
- Houston Dynamo Sign Forward/Midfielder Daniel Rios to Homegrown Player Contract