Three Points: Houston Dynamo Head North for Clash with Toronto FC
HOUSTON - The Houston Dynamo travel to Canada later this evening to wrap up a two-game road trip against Toronto FC at BMO Field.
Houston looks to snap a two-game losing streak after they fell 5-0 to Atlanta United FC on Wednesday in the Peach state. This was the largest defeat this season and extended Houston's winless streak on the road to eight games.
Houston played with 10 men for most of the game after forward Alberth Elis tangled with Atlanta defender Leandro González Pirez and was shown a yellow card for dissent in the sixth minute of the game. The Honduran international approached referee Chris Penso with his arms out to question the call and the two appeared to brush against one another, prompting Penso to issue Elis a straight red card for what was deemed "violent conduct" according to the official match report.
Houston leads the all-time series with a 7-5-10 record and will aim for their fourth victory at BMO Field on Saturday. The Dynamo hold a 3-4-4 record against Toronto in Canada and their last victory at BMO Field was on May 10, 2015 with goals from Boniek Garcia and Will Bruin.
The Dynamo return home on Wednesday, July 24 for the BBVA Classic against Club América to kick off the inaugural Leagues Cup tournament.
Houston Dynamo vs. Toronto FC
Saturday, July 20 - 6:30 p.m. CDT
KUBE 57 - Glenn Davis and Bobby Boswell
TelExitos 47.2 - Alex Parra and Enrique Vazquez
Univision Radio 1010 AM - Daniel Mejia & Lester Gretsch
Here are three key points ahead of tonight's game:
ON THE EDGE - Houston sit two points shy of a playoff spot and can finish in the qualification zone later this evening with a victory and favorable results across the Western Conference. The two teams directly above the Dynamo are in action later this evening as FC Dallas travel to the Midwest to face Sporting Kansas City and Real Salt Lake host Minnesota United. Houston will aim for a six-point week as they aim to enter the All-Star break at the end of the month in one of the top seven spots in the Western Conference.
ATTACKING THE REDS - Houston will look to capitalize on a Toronto backline that has allowed 34 goals this season, fourth most in the Eastern Conference going into tonight's match. Houston has scored seven goals in their last three games, but have only managed three points in that stretch. Houston will aim to bounce back after the most challenging defensive performance of the year - a 5-0 loss at Atlanta on Wednesday. The Dynamo have only been held scoreless in back-to-back games once this season in consecutive losses to the Portland Timbers and San Jose Earthquakes in late June.
TORONTO ON THE RISE - Toronto enters the game with a two-game winning streak and three victories in their last five games. Jozy Altidore scored his seventh goal of the season in Toronto's 3-1 victory over the New York Red Bulls on Wednesday. Midfielder Alejandro Pozuelo leads the team in goals with nine but may miss the match on Saturday with a sore ankle. The Spanish midfielder left Wednesday's match after scoring a penalty kick in the second half.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 20, 2019
- Real Salt Lake Draws 1-1 with Minnesota United FC - Real Salt Lake
- Henry scores in milestone match but 'Caps fall to the Quakes - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FC Dallas Denies Sporting Kansas City in 2-0 Win - FC Dallas
- Sporting Falls 2-0 to FC Dallas - Sporting Kansas City
- Postgame Notes: Houston Dynamo 3-1 Toronto FC - Houston Dynamo
- Toronto FC (1) - Houston Dynamo (3) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Union remain in first place in MLS' Eastern Conference after a 2-0 victory against Chicago - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Falls 2-0 to Philadelphia Union at Talen Energy Stadium - Chicago Fire
- Dynamo Capture Crucial Road Win with 3-1 Victory over Toronto FC - Houston Dynamo
- Impact Suffers 2-1 Loss to Columbus Crew Sc - Montreal Impact
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Head North for Clash with Toronto FC - Houston Dynamo
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Portland Timbers - July 21, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Preview: Orlando City Host New York Red Bulls on Sunday - Orlando City SC
- Match Preview: New York Wraps up Two-Match Road Trip at Orlando - New York Red Bulls
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 3, LAFC 2 - Friday, July 19, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Falls 3-2 against the Galaxy on Friday Night at Dignity Health Sports Park - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- QuestTEXAS Ch.55 to Air All Locally-Televised Dynamo Matches in 2020 Season
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Close Group Play against LA Galaxy and Vie for Spot in Knockout Round
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Face Portland Timbers in Critical Group F Match
- Houston Dynamo Face LAFC to Open Group F in MLS Is Back Tournament
- Houston Dynamo Sign Forward/Midfielder Daniel Rios to Homegrown Player Contract