Trio of Big Innings Help Biloxi Blow by M-Braves
BILOXI, MS - After being held to just two runs on Friday night, the Biloxi Shuckers (78-53, 37-24 2nd Half) exploded for 13 runs in a 13-4 win over the Mississippi Braves (61-70, 28-34) on Saturday night at MGM Park. Ryan Aguilar's grand slam in the eighth inning helped cap the Shuckers scoring, one of just two extra-base hits for Biloxi in the ballgame.
The M-Braves jumped out to an early 3-0 lead after Carlos Martinez singled in a run in the second and Ryan Casteel hit a two-run homer in the fourth, his 20th of the season. RHP Dylan File (W, 9-2) kept Biloxi within striking distance over six innings, allowing three runs on six hits while not walking a batter and striking out eight. File has now turned in a quality outing in eight of his 13 Double-A starts.
Biloxi's first crooked inning came in the bottom of the fifth. Max McDowell walked with one out and Jake Gatewood and Cooper Hummel loaded up the bases with back-to-back singles. Following a Dillon Thomas strikeout, Weston Wilson drove in two with a single to right, bringing the Shuckers within a run at 3-2. C.J. Hinojosa then popped a ball up in shallow right that fell out of the reach of Alejandro Salazar, scoring another run to tie the game at 3-3.
In the bottom of the sixth, McDowell and Devin Hairston worked a pair of one-out walks and Hummel singled to yet again load up the bases. Thomas drew a walk from LHP Thomas Burrows (L, 0-2), forcing in a run to put the Shuckers up 4-3. Wilson then struck out on a high pitch, but the ball kicked away from catcher Carlos Martinez and rolled down the steps of the Shuckers dugout, giving each runner 90 feet and scoring another run. Hinojosa finished off the inning with a two-RBI double, his third hit of the night, to extend the Shuckers lead to 7-3.
Mississippi scored a run in the top of the eighth on an RBI groundout to draw within three runs, but RHP Jon Olczak (S, 2) stranded the tying run on deck. Biloxi's offense poured on six runs in the bottom of the inning, with Gatewood reaching on a hit by pitch, Hummel singling to left and Thomas bouncing an infield single to start the frame. Gatewood raced in to score on a wild pitch, and following an intentional walk of Hinojosa, Joantgel Segovia singled to right, pushing the Shucker to a 9-4 lead. Aguilar stepped to the plate and deposited an 0-1 pitch onto the right-field berm for a grand slam, his third Double-A home run, to put the game out of reach at 13-4.
With the series even at a game apiece, the Shuckers and M-Braves continue their five-game series on Sunday afternoon at 2:35 pm. Biloxi will send LHP Cameron Roegner (5-5, 4.85) to the mound while Mississippi has not named a starter. It's Salute Sunday presented by Keesler Federal Credit Union, with discounted tickets available for active and retired military personnel. The Shuckers will also auction off their military-themed jerseys, with proceeds benefitting the Mississippi VA. The game can be heard locally in Biloxi on Cruisin' WGCM AM 1240/100.9 FM, TuneIn Radio or the MiLB First Pitch App and can be seen on MiLB.TV. Fans can save $10 off their subscription when they use the promo code 'Shuckers' at checkout.
Flex Plans and Group Outings for the 2019 Biloxi Shuckers season are on sale and are available for purchase by calling 228-233-3465, online at biloxishuckers.com or by visiting the MGM Park front office. With the 2020 Southern League schedule announced, Shuck Nation Memberships for the 2020 season are also available by visiting the Biloxi Shuckers front office. The Biloxi Shuckers will host Game 1 and Game 2 of the South Division Championship Series on September 4 & 5 at MGM Park. Tickets for all six potential playoff games at MGM Park are on sale now.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 24, 2019
- Casteel Blasts 20th Homer in Saturday's Loss - Mississippi Braves
- Cribbs' Homer Sparks Generals to Comeback Win, 8-4 - Jackson Generals
- Trio of Big Innings Help Biloxi Blow by M-Braves - Biloxi Shuckers
- Biscuits and Lookouts Suspended - Montgomery Biscuits
- Tonight's Game Suspended - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Barons Roughed up Saturday as Smokies Even Series - Birmingham Barons
- Sixteen Hits Leads Smokies to 8-2 Win over Barons - Tennessee Smokies
- Jumbo Shrimp Rally by BayBears 3-1 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Hairston, Bender Promoted to Shuckers from High-A - Biloxi Shuckers
- Generals Gameday: August 24 at Pensacola - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 24 vs. Mobile - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Ninth-Inning Rally Falls Short for Generals, 3-2 - Jackson Generals
- Blue Wahoos Hang on to 3-2 Victory - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- BayBears Shut out Jumbo Shrimp in Series Opener - Mobile BayBears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Biloxi Shuckers Stories
- Trent Grisham Named Brewers Minor League Player of the Year
- Tough to the End - Shuckers Fall in Game Five
- Series Saved as Shuckers Force Game 5 in Jackson
- Saladino Option Transferred to Biloxi, Hinojosa Transferred to San Antonio
- Shuckers Silenced in Game 3 by Generals