Casteel Blasts 20th Homer in Saturday's Loss
BILOXI, MS - The Biloxi Shuckers (37-24, 78-53) officially eliminated the Mississippi Braves (28-34, 61-70) from playoff contention on Saturday night with a 13-4 victory over the Braves at MGM Park.
Ryan Casteel had a big night at the plate on Saturday. The Chattanooga native doubled with two outs in the second inning against Biloxi starter Dylan File (W, 9-2) and scored on a Carlos Martinez single.
Casteel hadn't homered since hitting two on Aug, 7 in Jacksonville and was sitting on 19 this season. That changed in the fourth inning when he connected on a two-run shot to left, increasing the lead to 3-0. Casteel becomes just the second M-Braves player to record 20 home runs in a single season, joining Ernesto Mejia, who hit 26 in the 2011 season. Casteel is currently seventh on the M-Braves all-time home run list.
Jasseel De La Cruz worked in and out of trouble through 4.0 scoreless innings before yielding a run in the fifth. De La Cruz was coming off back-to-back scoreless starts. Weston Wilson hit a two-out RBI single to trim the lead to 3-2, and De La Cruz saw his scoreless innings streak end at 14.2 innings. Thomas Burrows (L, 0-2) came on to relieve the right-hander and let one inherited run score to tie the game at 3-3.
In total, De La Cruz allowed three runs on five hits over 4.2 innings with three walks and three strikeouts in his 15th start of the season.
The Shuckers sent eight batters to the plate in the fiffth inning and then eight more to the plate in the sixth inning to score four runs and extend their lead out to 7-3.
Casteel collected his third RBI of the night in the top of the eighth inning to pull Mississippi within three by bringing home Riley Unroe on a ground out. Unroe led the M-Braves offense going 3-for-5.
After dealing a scoreless inning in the seventh, Jason Hursh saw Biloxi send eleven batters to the plate in the bottom of the eighth inning. The Shuckers capped the six-run frame to make it 13-4 on a grand slam home run from Ryan Aguilar.
The M-Braves gave up double-digit runs for just the third time this season and the first time since giving up 13 in a 13-4 loss at Mobile on July 27.
Game three of the five-game series is on Sunday afternoon at MGM Park in Biloxi. LHP Phil Pfeifer (1-2, 2.38) is scheduled to start for the M-Braves against LHP Cameron Roegner (5-5, 4.85) for Biloxi. First pitch is set for 2:35 pm with coverage beginning at 2:20 pm on 103.9 WYAB, TuneIn Radio, First Pitch App. and MiLB.tv (subscription required).
The M-Braves will close out the 2019 home schedule with a five-game homestand Aug. 29-Sept. 2 at Trustmark Park against the Chattanooga Lookouts. The homestand features the final Thirsty Thursday of the season, Baseball Card Set Giveaway on Friday, Aug. 30, Post-Game Fireworks and Memphis Grizzlies Night on Saturday, Aug. 31, Mugshots FamilyFest Sunday and Photo With a Brave Day on Sunday, Sept. 1 and then a Labor Day matinee on Monday, Sept. 2 at 1:05 pm to close out the season. For tickets and more information visit mississippibraves.com.
The Mississippi Braves are the Double-A affiliate of the Atlanta Braves. Since the inaugural 2005 season, 146 M-Braves have gone on to Major League Baseball. The M-Braves have made postseason play four times and went on to win the Southern League Championship in 2008. Stop by Trustmark Park or call 888-BRAVES4 Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. For the latest news and updates, visit mississippibraves.com or connect with @mbraves on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 24, 2019
- Casteel Blasts 20th Homer in Saturday's Loss - Mississippi Braves
- Cribbs' Homer Sparks Generals to Comeback Win, 8-4 - Jackson Generals
- Trio of Big Innings Help Biloxi Blow by M-Braves - Biloxi Shuckers
- Biscuits and Lookouts Suspended - Montgomery Biscuits
- Tonight's Game Suspended - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Barons Roughed up Saturday as Smokies Even Series - Birmingham Barons
- Sixteen Hits Leads Smokies to 8-2 Win over Barons - Tennessee Smokies
- Jumbo Shrimp Rally by BayBears 3-1 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Hairston, Bender Promoted to Shuckers from High-A - Biloxi Shuckers
- Generals Gameday: August 24 at Pensacola - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 24 vs. Mobile - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Ninth-Inning Rally Falls Short for Generals, 3-2 - Jackson Generals
- Blue Wahoos Hang on to 3-2 Victory - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- BayBears Shut out Jumbo Shrimp in Series Opener - Mobile BayBears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mississippi Braves Stories
- Anderson, Harris Named Atlanta Braves Minor League Players of the Year
- Unroe, Kingham Named Final Farm Bureau Players of the Week
- Riley Unroe Named Southern League Player of the Week
- M-Braves Close Season with 3-2 Win over Lookouts
- Kingham Tosses Complete Game in Sunday's Win