Cribbs' Homer Sparks Generals to Comeback Win, 8-4
Pensacola, Fla. - The Jackson Generals, the Double-A affiliate of Major League Baseball's Arizona Diamondbacks, rallied behind shortstop Galli Cribbs Jr.'s second home run of the season to beat the home-standing Pensacola Blue Wahoos, 8-4, on Saturday night. The Generals (74-55) evened the series at Admiral Fetterman Field by plating all eight of their runs after the fourth inning, knocking off Pensacola (72-59) at home for the first time this year.
Generals starter Matt Peacock gave up a two-run homer to Ryan Costello in the third inning to put the Generals in an early 2-0 hole. But Jackson rallied for three runs in the fifth inning on back-to-back-to-back RBI hits from Jeffrey Baez, Daulton Varsho and Pavin Smith. That lead was short-lived, as the Blue Wahoos answered immediately with two more runs charged to Peacock, who did not survive the fifth. Reliever Kevin McCanna (5-5, 2.20 ERA) entered with the bases loaded and allowed one of his inherited runners to score, putting the Pensacola lead at 4-3 going to the sixth inning.
With two outs in the sixth, L. T. Tolbert walked and Camden Duzenack was hit by a pitch before Cribbs delivered perhaps his biggest hit of the season. His three-run jack off reliever Marcos Diplan (3-5, 4.86 ERA) came five weeks to the day that he hit a three-run shot on the road against Montgomery to take a late lead over the Biscuits. The blast gave the Generals a 6-4 lead that they never relinquished. Pavin Smith, who had four hits on the night, added his twelfth home run and Jeffrey Baez hit his fifteenth dinger to complete the Generals' scoring. Cole Stapler (S, 1) pitched three scoreless innings in relief, giving up only a harmless base-on-balls to earn his first save of the season.
UP AND COMING AT
August 29-Sept 2:
Generals vs. Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
(AA, Miami Marlins)
...featuring Dollar Night (August 29),
College Night (August 30),
and SEC Night (August 31)!
For tickets and more information about the Generals, dial 731.988.5299 or log on to JacksonGeneralsBaseball.com!
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 24, 2019
- Casteel Blasts 20th Homer in Saturday's Loss - Mississippi Braves
- Cribbs' Homer Sparks Generals to Comeback Win, 8-4 - Jackson Generals
- Trio of Big Innings Help Biloxi Blow by M-Braves - Biloxi Shuckers
- Biscuits and Lookouts Suspended - Montgomery Biscuits
- Tonight's Game Suspended - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Barons Roughed up Saturday as Smokies Even Series - Birmingham Barons
- Sixteen Hits Leads Smokies to 8-2 Win over Barons - Tennessee Smokies
- Jumbo Shrimp Rally by BayBears 3-1 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Hairston, Bender Promoted to Shuckers from High-A - Biloxi Shuckers
- Generals Gameday: August 24 at Pensacola - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 24 vs. Mobile - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Ninth-Inning Rally Falls Short for Generals, 3-2 - Jackson Generals
- Blue Wahoos Hang on to 3-2 Victory - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- BayBears Shut out Jumbo Shrimp in Series Opener - Mobile BayBears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.