Jumbo Shrimp Rally by BayBears 3-1
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp came from behind on Saturday to beat the Mobile BayBears 3-1 at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. A crowd of 8,672 enjoyed a Scampi Bobblehead Giveaway presented by Community First Credit Union, 76c Gas Fill Up The Park Night and a Saturday Night Postgame Fireworks Show.
The score was tied at one when Joe Dunand led off the seventh by singling against Mobile (48-80, 21-39) starter Max Herrmann (1-3). A Brian Miller infield bunt single coupled with a BayBears error put runners on the corners. Stone Garrett followed with an RBI double to give Jacksonville (64-67, 35-26) their first lead of the contest. Riley Mahan's sacrifice fly then put the Jumbo Shrimp ahead 3-1.
A Brandon Marsh home run in the first inning was Mobile's only offense against Jumbo Shrimp starter Josh Roeder. The right-hander yielded just one run on two hits in six innings, striking out five against one walk. He retired 16 BayBears in a row at one point.
With Jacksonville down 1-0, Anfernee Seymour singled to start the sixth. A sacrifice bunt moved him to second. After a ground out, Jazz Chisholm's RBI single tied the game.
Jordan Guerrero (1-0) earned the win with two scoreless innings of relief. Tommy Eveld earned his 10th save of the season with a scoreless ninth inning.
Saturday's winning raffle number of 1585787036 won a prize of $258.
Jacksonville host Mobile in a Sunday doubleheader beginning at 4:35 p.m.. RHP Jorge Guzman (7-10, 3.50 ERA) faces off with BayBears RHP Luis Madero (4-10, 5.69 ERA). LHP McKenzie Mills (1-8, 5.45 ERA) makes the start in the finale. Coverage begins at 4:20 p.m. on MiLB.tv, Sunny 102.3 FM, TuneIn and jaxshrimp.com.
Gates open at 3:35 p.m. for Fan Appreciation Day presented by 121 Financial. On a day designed for the Jumbo Shrimp to say a sincere "Thank You" to fans, the club will host a season-ending swap meet on the concourse in which fans can bring a non-perishable food item to donate in exchange for a Jumbo Shrimp item (while supplies last). In between games of the doubleheader, the Jumbo Shrimp will hold their largest T-shirt toss of the season, throwing 1,000 shirts into the stands. The Baptist MD Anderson Cancer Center Home Run for Life means a patient from local Baptist MD Anderson Cancer Center will complete a trot around the bases to celebrate his Home Run for Life during the fifth inning of game one of the doubleheader. On a Baptist Health Sunday Family FUNday, families are welcome to play catch on the field before the game, plus Jumbo Shrimp players will be signing autographs. Each Sunday also features free face painting, balloon animals and popular kids show and movie characters roaming the park. Following the game, kids 12 and under can run the bases. In addition, every Sunday, 24 oz. Corona cans will be available for $5.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 24, 2019
- Casteel Blasts 20th Homer in Saturday's Loss - Mississippi Braves
- Cribbs' Homer Sparks Generals to Comeback Win, 8-4 - Jackson Generals
- Trio of Big Innings Help Biloxi Blow by M-Braves - Biloxi Shuckers
- Biscuits and Lookouts Suspended - Montgomery Biscuits
- Tonight's Game Suspended - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Barons Roughed up Saturday as Smokies Even Series - Birmingham Barons
- Sixteen Hits Leads Smokies to 8-2 Win over Barons - Tennessee Smokies
- Jumbo Shrimp Rally by BayBears 3-1 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Hairston, Bender Promoted to Shuckers from High-A - Biloxi Shuckers
- Generals Gameday: August 24 at Pensacola - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 24 vs. Mobile - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Ninth-Inning Rally Falls Short for Generals, 3-2 - Jackson Generals
- Blue Wahoos Hang on to 3-2 Victory - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- BayBears Shut out Jumbo Shrimp in Series Opener - Mobile BayBears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Stories
- Jumbo Shrimp's October 31 Fall Festival Features Trick-Or-Treating, Contests
- Former Jacksonville Infielder Soto Makes MLB Debut
- Great Prizes, Food Pre-Order Deals Highlight September 26 Bingo Night
- Jacksonville Alumnus Garrett Spins Gem in MLB Debut
- Former Jumbo Shrimp Chisholm Becomes Seventh Bahamian Player in MLB History