Hairston, Bender Promoted to Shuckers from High-A
BILOXI, MS - The Biloxi Shuckers, Double-A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers, announced four roster moves prior to their game Saturday night against the Mississippi Braves. Infielder Devin Hairston and RHP Anthony Bender have been promoted to Biloxi from High-A Carolina, while infielder Luis Aviles Jr. and RHP Rodrigo Benoit have been placed on the injured list.
Hairston gets his first promotion to Double-A after spending all of 2019 with the Carolina Mudcats. In 111 games with the Mudcats, the 24-year-old hit .193 with 13 doubles, two triples, one home run and 28 RBI's. The Lexington, KY native has played in 252 games in his minor league career, logging 178 at shortstop and 74 games at second base. Selected in the sixth round of the 2017 First Year Player Draft by the Milwaukee Brewers out of Louisville, Hairston was the 2017 ACC Defensive Player of the Year at Louisville and was selected to the ABCA Gold Glove team in the same season.
Bender also receives his first promotion to Double-A. Originally selected by the Kansas City Royals in the 20th round of the 2016 First Year Player Draft out of Santa Rosa Junior College, Bender signed with the Brewers on May 29th after appearing in two games with the Sioux City Explorers of the American Association. The 24-year-old made ten appearances with the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, going 0-1 with a 1.32 ERA, successfully converting five saves in seven save opportunities. In 13.2 innings, the righty allowed just two runs on ten hits while walking just two and striking out 15. Bender was promoted to High-A Carolina on July 1 and continued to put up great numbers, making 15 relief appearances and going 2-1 with a 1.59 ERA, notching four saves in six save opportunities. Over 17.0 innings, the Petaluma, CA native allowed seven runs, three earned, on 13 hits while walking six and striking out 16.
In a pair of corresponding moves, Aviles Jr. has been placed on the injured list. The 24-year-old lands on the IL for the third time in the second half of the season after spending time on the IL from July 8 to July 18 and then again from July 20 to August 15. In 82 games with Biloxi, Aviles is hitting .256 with 16 doubles, two home runs and 30 RBI's. Despite his missed time, Aviles is still fourth in the Southern League in stolen bases with 27. Benoit also lands on the injured list after appearing in six games with Biloxi, going 1-1 with a 5.87 ERA.
The Shuckers continue their five-game series against the M-Braves on Saturday night at MGM Park. RHP Dylan File (8-2, 2.62) will take the hill for the Shuckers against M-Braves RHP Jasseel De La Cruz (4-7, 3.84) for a 6:35 pm first pitch. It's Shuck Yeah Saturday, with a pregame Beer 1K around the MGM Park warning track. During Shucktoberfest, all draft beers are $5 and jumbo pretzels are available for $2. The game can be heard locally in Biloxi on Cruisin' WGCM AM 1240/100.9 FM, TuneIn Radio or the MiLB First Pitch App and can be seen on MiLB.TV. Fans can save $10 off their subscription when they use the promo code 'Shuckers' at checkout.
Flex Plans and Group Outings for the 2019 Biloxi Shuckers season are on sale and are available for purchase by calling 228-233-3465, online at biloxishuckers.com or by visiting the MGM Park front office. With the 2020 Southern League schedule announced, Shuck Nation Memberships for the 2020 season are also available by visiting the Biloxi Shuckers front office. The Biloxi Shuckers will host Game 1 and Game 2 of the South Division Championship Series on September 4 & 5 at MGM Park. Tickets for all six potential playoff games at MGM Park are on sale now.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 24, 2019
- Casteel Blasts 20th Homer in Saturday's Loss - Mississippi Braves
- Cribbs' Homer Sparks Generals to Comeback Win, 8-4 - Jackson Generals
- Trio of Big Innings Help Biloxi Blow by M-Braves - Biloxi Shuckers
- Biscuits and Lookouts Suspended - Montgomery Biscuits
- Tonight's Game Suspended - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Barons Roughed up Saturday as Smokies Even Series - Birmingham Barons
- Sixteen Hits Leads Smokies to 8-2 Win over Barons - Tennessee Smokies
- Jumbo Shrimp Rally by BayBears 3-1 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Hairston, Bender Promoted to Shuckers from High-A - Biloxi Shuckers
- Generals Gameday: August 24 at Pensacola - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 24 vs. Mobile - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Ninth-Inning Rally Falls Short for Generals, 3-2 - Jackson Generals
- Blue Wahoos Hang on to 3-2 Victory - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- BayBears Shut out Jumbo Shrimp in Series Opener - Mobile BayBears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Biloxi Shuckers Stories
- Mississippi State to Play Two Games at MGM Park in 2020
- Clayton Andrews Named to USA Baseball Premier12 Roster
- Trent Grisham Named Brewers Minor League Player of the Year
- Tough to the End - Shuckers Fall in Game Five
- Series Saved as Shuckers Force Game 5 in Jackson