Ninth-Inning Rally Falls Short for Generals, 3-2
Pensacola, Fla. - The Jackson Generals, the Double-A affiliate of Major League Baseball's Arizona Diamondbacks, came up short in their series-opening game at Pensacola on Friday, losing 3-2 to the Blue Wahoos at Admiral Fetterman Field. Jackson (73-55) managed just four hits in the travel-day contest after arriving in the wee hours of the morning to play the Wahoos (72-58) following a seven-hour bus ride.
Facing the organization that traded him and other prospects for Eduardo Escobar last year, Pensacola's Jhoan Duran (3-3, 5.34 ERA) carried a no-hitter into the seventh inning, finally undone by an L.T. Tolbert single with two outs in the seventh. Duran walked just one batter while striking out eleven men, holding the Generals without an extra-base hit in his time on the hill. Duran yielded to former General Gabriel Moya after eight shutout innings, and Moya earned a hold by getting the first two outs of the ninth.
Andrew Vasquez came on for Pensacola to try and record the final out, but he faced three batters without having much success. He walked Ramon Hernandez, and L.T. Tolbert followed with a single to bring the potential game-tying run to the plate. Ryan Grotjohn then rapped a double to right field that scored both runners, bringing the Generals within a run at 3-2 and chasing Vasquez from the mound. Jonathan Cheshire (S, 5) entered and walked Pavin Smith intentionally to get to Galli Cribbs Jr., but he plunked Cribbs to load the bases and push the tying run up to third base. Jeffrey Baez then flew out to close the contest, as Jackson went just 1-for-3 with men in scoring position.
Starting for the first time since August 13, Jackson's Bo Takahashi (8-7, 3.74 ERA) gave a good account of himself, finishing six innings with just one run allowed while scattering six Pensacola hits and collecting eight groundball outs. The seventh inning was more difficult for Ryan Atkinson, who ceded two runs on a pair of hits and two walks that made the Blue Wahoos' lead 3-0. Jayson McKinley threw a scoreless eighth inning, but the Generals' offense fell just short of giving him a chance at his third Double-A win in his third appearance.
UP AND COMING AT
August 29-Sept 2:
Generals vs. Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
(AA, Miami Marlins)
...featuring Dollar Night (August 29),
College Night (August 30),
and SEC Night (August 31)!
For tickets and more information about the Generals, dial 731.988.5299 or log on to JacksonGeneralsBaseball.com!
Images from this story
Jackson Generals pitcher Bo Takahashi
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 24, 2019
- Casteel Blasts 20th Homer in Saturday's Loss - Mississippi Braves
- Cribbs' Homer Sparks Generals to Comeback Win, 8-4 - Jackson Generals
- Trio of Big Innings Help Biloxi Blow by M-Braves - Biloxi Shuckers
- Biscuits and Lookouts Suspended - Montgomery Biscuits
- Tonight's Game Suspended - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Barons Roughed up Saturday as Smokies Even Series - Birmingham Barons
- Sixteen Hits Leads Smokies to 8-2 Win over Barons - Tennessee Smokies
- Jumbo Shrimp Rally by BayBears 3-1 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Hairston, Bender Promoted to Shuckers from High-A - Biloxi Shuckers
- Generals Gameday: August 24 at Pensacola - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 24 vs. Mobile - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Ninth-Inning Rally Falls Short for Generals, 3-2 - Jackson Generals
- Blue Wahoos Hang on to 3-2 Victory - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- BayBears Shut out Jumbo Shrimp in Series Opener - Mobile BayBears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jackson Generals Stories
- Jerry "The King" Lawler to Host 50th Anniversary Event in Jackson
- Minor League Baseball Announces Cancellation of 2020 Season
- Snoop Dogg and Twista Concert Postponed
- A June Update from the Jackson Generals
- Baseball Is Back: the Ballpark at Jackson to Host High School Baseball Tournaments