Sixteen Hits Leads Smokies to 8-2 Win over Barons
KODAK - The bats came alive in an 8-2 Tennessee Smokies (53-78, 20-42) win over the Birmingham Barons (59-69, 32- 27) at Smokies Stadium on Saturday night. Vimael Machin led the pack, going 2-for-5 with a pair of RBIs and a home run.
Neither side budged through the first four innings, but in the top of the fifth Birmingham drew first blood on a two-out, two-strike RBI-double from Luis Basabe to put the Barons up 1-0.
Connor Myers and the Smokies responded immediately in their next at-bat. A pair of singles got things started, and then Myers laid down a bunt which was complimented by a throwing error from third baseman Ti'Quan Forbes to score both runners. The inning wrapped up with a pair of RBIs from Machin's single and Zack Short's double, running the lead up to 4-1.
LHP Bernardo Flores (L, 3-8) surrendered a season worst ten hits over six innings in the loss.
Smokies LHP Luis Lugo (W, 6-0) finished with a quality start dealing six innings and allowing a run on four hits while tying his season high in strikeouts with seven. The journeyman has punched out six or more batters in each of his last five starts.
Down to their final out in the seventh, the Smokies needed just five pitches to string four singles together and a pair of runs added to their lead. Jared Young knocked in his fifth run across in his last six games. Machin put the final nail in the coffin in the ninth when he deposited a ball over the right field wall for his sixth homer of the season which is tied for the most on the team.
RHP Cory Abbott (6-8, 3.38) and his team high 150 strikeouts takes the mound for the Smokies against LHP John Parke (3-3, 2.55) for the Barons Sunday evening. First pitch on Fan Appreciation Night is scheduled for 5:30 pm EDT at Smokies Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 24, 2019
- Casteel Blasts 20th Homer in Saturday's Loss - Mississippi Braves
- Cribbs' Homer Sparks Generals to Comeback Win, 8-4 - Jackson Generals
- Trio of Big Innings Help Biloxi Blow by M-Braves - Biloxi Shuckers
- Biscuits and Lookouts Suspended - Montgomery Biscuits
- Tonight's Game Suspended - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Barons Roughed up Saturday as Smokies Even Series - Birmingham Barons
- Sixteen Hits Leads Smokies to 8-2 Win over Barons - Tennessee Smokies
- Jumbo Shrimp Rally by BayBears 3-1 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Hairston, Bender Promoted to Shuckers from High-A - Biloxi Shuckers
- Generals Gameday: August 24 at Pensacola - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 24 vs. Mobile - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Ninth-Inning Rally Falls Short for Generals, 3-2 - Jackson Generals
- Blue Wahoos Hang on to 3-2 Victory - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- BayBears Shut out Jumbo Shrimp in Series Opener - Mobile BayBears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tennessee Smokies Stories
- Tennessee Smokies Announce 2020 Youth Camp Registration
- Tennessee Smokies Announce Smokies Fall JuCo Classic to Take Place September 25
- Tennessee Smokies Announce Pitching & Catching Camp to be Hosted at Smokies Stadium September 15 and 16
- Tennessee Smokies Announce 2020 Fall Ball Registration
- Tennessee Smokies Announce Cancellation of Great Smoky Mountain AutoFest