Towns Plays All Nine in 2018 Finale
JOLIET, IL - The defending Frontier League champion Schaumburg Boomers, presented by Wintrust Community Banks, saw the 2018 season come to an end with a 7-3 loss to the Joliet Slammers on Sunday night.
Kenny Towns played all nine positions in the defeat, becoming the second player in team history to accomplish the feat. Michael Valadez played all nine in the 2015 finale. Towns started behind the plate and pitched a scoreless seventh on the mound. Joliet built a 7-0 lead in the game by hitting three homers in the first two innings against starter Gunnar Kines. R.J. Thompson hit a solo homer in the first and Danny Zardon a two-run blast. Travis Bolin connected on a grand slam in the second.
Towns doubled in the fourth and scored the first run for the Boomers on a wild pitch. Collin Ferguson tallied the final runs of the season with a two-run homer in the eighth. Joliet also had a player appear at all nine positions. The last four pitchers who appeared for the Slammers were all position players. The franchise record on-base streak for Zack Weigel came to an end at 49 games with an 0-for-4 showing. Jack Parenty posted three hits and Nick Oddo two as the Boomers finished with nine.
The Boomers ended the season with a record of 45-51.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from September 2, 2018
- Encina Pitches Complete Game, Miners Fall in Finale - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Clinch West with Freedom Sweep - Florence Y'alls
- Rascals Win West Division on Finale - River City Rascals
- Crushers Close Season on High Note - Lake Erie Crushers
- Towns Plays All Nine in 2018 Finale - Schaumburg Boomers
- Beach Bums End Season with Win over Windy City - Traverse City Beach Bums
- ThunderBolts Fall to Traverse City in Season Finale - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Wild Things Turn Attention to Playoffs - Washington Wild Things
- East Division Champions Set to Host FLDS Games September 7-9 - Washington Wild Things
- Grizzlies Win Dramatic Marathon - Gateway Grizzlies
- Miners Drop Absolute Heartbreaker to Grizzlies - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Clinch Playoff Berth with Win over Freedom - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Schaumburg Boomers Stories
- White Sox Select Boomers Stadium as Training Site for the 2020 Season
- Gary SouthShore RailCats, Schaumburg Boomers to Add Black Lives Matters Patches to Team Jerseys
- All-Star Nieporte Returns for 2020
- Eddie Jackson Charity Softball Game Returns Next Summer
- Boomers Announce 2020 Schedule