Wild Things Turn Attention to Playoffs
AVON, Ohio - The Wild Things dropped the finale of the series to the Crushers in the regular season finale for both teams, 10-4, Sunday at Sprenger Stadium. Washington closes the season with a 54-42 record and will now head to the Frontier League Division Series, which will begin Tuesday.
Lake Erie scored the first six runs before the teams traded shots for the next two innings.
For Washington, two players turned in multi-hit performances, including Chase Simmons, who led the Wild Things with three hits and an RBI. Ryan Cox added two hits and an RBI in his return to the lineup, while Dom Iero and Roman Collins both knocked in a run in the loss.
Dillon Sunnafrank and Jake Eaton tossed scoreless innings for Washington.
Washington does not know its FLDS opponent yet, but will by the end of the night. If River City wins against Florence or Evansville loses to Normal, the River City Rascals will win the West and be the No. 2 seed, with Washington then traveling to Evansville, who would be the second wild card spot.
Washington will be on the road for games one and two of the postseason Tuesday and Wednesday, September 4-5. It will then host game three Friday at 7:05 p.m. and, if necessary, host games four and five Saturday and Sunday.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from September 2, 2018
- Encina Pitches Complete Game, Miners Fall in Finale - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Clinch West with Freedom Sweep - Florence Y'alls
- Rascals Win West Division on Finale - River City Rascals
- Crushers Close Season on High Note - Lake Erie Crushers
- Towns Plays All Nine in 2018 Finale - Schaumburg Boomers
- Beach Bums End Season with Win over Windy City - Traverse City Beach Bums
- ThunderBolts Fall to Traverse City in Season Finale - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Wild Things Turn Attention to Playoffs - Washington Wild Things
- East Division Champions Set to Host FLDS Games September 7-9 - Washington Wild Things
- Grizzlies Win Dramatic Marathon - Gateway Grizzlies
- Miners Drop Absolute Heartbreaker to Grizzlies - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Clinch Playoff Berth with Win over Freedom - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Washington Wild Things Stories
- LHP Tommy Shirley Extended Through 2021 by Washington
- Infielder Josh Rehwaldt Extended Through 2021
- RHP Michael Austin's Contract Extended Through 2021
- RHP Jesus Balaguer's Contract Extended Through 2021
- Infielder John Sansone Added to 2021 Wild Things' Roster