Tourists Top Drive, 4-0, on Wednesday
GREENVILLE, S.C. - Asheville starter Colten Schmidt tossed a shutout against the Greenville Drive on Wednesday at Fluor Field, as the Tourists avoided the sweep with a 4-0 victory.
Asheville got on the board in the second. With two outs and no one on, Kyle Datres was hit by a pitch and later stole second. Niko Decolati then singled to center to score him and give the Tourists a 1-0 lead.
The Tourists added to the lead with two runs in the sixth. Coco Montes led off the inning with a double, then Grant Lavigne singled and Willie MacIver turned in a sacrifice fly to push the Asheville lead to 2-0, before an error allowed a second run to score to make it 3-0. Asheville tacked on a fourth and final run in the ninth, after a walk, single, fielder's choice and Greenville error to secure the 4-0 victory.
Schmidt (5-4) turned in a shutout against the Drive, allowing just two hits and no walks with three strikeouts. The lefty faced just one over the minimum over the final five innings.
Greenville starter Kevin Biondic was tagged with the loss after surrendering three runs (two earned) on five hits with a walk and three strikeouts in 6.0 innings pitched. Yoan Aybar threw two solid innings in relief, striking out four with no hits, walks or runs, while Yorvin Pantoja allowed one run on one hit with a walk and a strikeout in the ninth.
Brandon Howlett and Devlin Granberg turned in the Drive's only two hits, with Howlett turning in his 17th double of the year. Niko Decolati was 3-for-3 for the Tourists with an RBI, while Kyle Datres scored three of the team's four runs.
The Drive open a four-game series with the Columbia Fireflies on Thursday. First pitch at 7:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 17, 2019
- Crawdads Comeback to Complete Sweep - Hickory Crawdads
- RiverDogs Offense Shows up Too Late in Road Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Birds Fall Quietly to 'Claws in Six - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Salvatore's Walk-Off Sacrifice Fly Secures Sweep - West Virginia Power
- Pitching Falters in 11-1 Loss to 'Hoppers - Hagerstown Suns
- Vientos and Newton Both Go Yard in Finale in West Virginia - Columbia Fireflies
- Tourists Top Drive, 4-0, on Wednesday - Greenville Drive
- Schmidt Hurls Complete Game, Two-Hit Shutout - Asheville Tourists
- Homestand Preview #9: July 18-21 - Hagerstown Suns
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- World's Largest Moon Landing Punctuates RiverDogs' Upcoming Homestand - Charleston RiverDogs
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 17 at West Virginia (Game 93) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (July 17) - West Virginia Power
- Lexington Evens Series with 6-4 Win in Extras - Rome Braves
- Bill on Baseball: Mangieri Makes Presence Felt with Two HRs - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.