Pitching Falters in 11-1 Loss to 'Hoppers
GREENSBORO, NC - Tomas Alastre struggled in four innings against the Grasshoppers, leading to a 11-1 loss to Greensboro at First National Bank Field Wednesday afternoon.
Alastre (L, 3-10) gave up five homers and eight runs in just four innings of work in Hagerstown's (40-56, 10-16) loss.
Jonah Davis and Jack Herman broke things open with solo homers in the second frame before Greensboro (58-39, 14-12) added four more runs in the third inning and two in the fourth.
The Suns got on the board via Phil Caulfield's second homer of the season. The infielder is now stroking .348 in eight games with the Suns after Wednesday's 1-for-2 effort where he also drew two walks. Caulfield now own a five-game hitting streak, his longest mark of the season.
Not to be outdone, Drew Mendoza finished 2-for-4 with a double to earn his own five-game hitting streak, his second such streak of his young career.
Chandler Day was the first reliever to enter the game for Hagerstown. The Vanderbilt-product spun three innings, allowing two runs before handing the ball to Trey Turner, who worked the ninth. Turner allowed one run off of two hits to make the final score 11-1.
Tomorrow, Hagerstown returns home to kick-off a four-game set against the Hickory Crawdads. The Suns toss RHP Jake Irvin (5-6, 4.59 ERA), while Hickory has yet to announce their starter for the game.
The Suns return home for a four-game series with the Hickory Crawdads July 18-21. The homestand is littered with promotions from a Jimmy Buffett-themed Thirsty Thursday, an Early Halloween Party, Friday, Wrestling Night, with an appearance from Bob Backlund before we wrap up the homestand with a Kids Sunday Funday.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 17, 2019
- Crawdads Comeback to Complete Sweep - Hickory Crawdads
- RiverDogs Offense Shows up Too Late in Road Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Birds Fall Quietly to 'Claws in Six - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Salvatore's Walk-Off Sacrifice Fly Secures Sweep - West Virginia Power
- Pitching Falters in 11-1 Loss to 'Hoppers - Hagerstown Suns
- Vientos and Newton Both Go Yard in Finale in West Virginia - Columbia Fireflies
- Tourists Top Drive, 4-0, on Wednesday - Greenville Drive
- Schmidt Hurls Complete Game, Two-Hit Shutout - Asheville Tourists
- Homestand Preview #9: July 18-21 - Hagerstown Suns
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- World's Largest Moon Landing Punctuates RiverDogs' Upcoming Homestand - Charleston RiverDogs
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 17 at West Virginia (Game 93) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (July 17) - West Virginia Power
- Lexington Evens Series with 6-4 Win in Extras - Rome Braves
- Bill on Baseball: Mangieri Makes Presence Felt with Two HRs - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.