Tourists Pull Off Biggest Comeback Win of the Year
May 25, 2023 - South Atlantic League (SAL) - Asheville Tourists News Release
HICKORY- The Asheville Tourists overcame a six-run deficit to defeat the Hickory Crawdads in extra innings on Thursday night by a final score of 12-9. Asheville pounded out a season-high 23 hits and stunned the Crawdads home crowd with a thrilling Game Three victory.
The previous largest come-from-behind win was in late April when the Tourists trailed at Bowling Green by five runs and came back to win in extras. Tonight, Asheville fell behind 6-0 after three innings. The score remained 6-0 until the Tourists rallied for four runs in the top of the sixth, all with two outs.
Asheville then took the lead in the top of the seventh on a Collin Price RBI single followed by a Zach Dezenzo two-run double. The Crawdads tied the game in the bottom of the seventh but Tommy Sacco Jr. put Asheville back on top 8-7 with an RBI single in the eighth. Hickory used a two-out RBI double in the ninth to force extras.
In the tenth, Miguel Palma lined an RBI single into right, Michael Sandle ripped an RBI single into center, Kobe Kato brought home a run with a single into left, and Asheville added one more on a wild pitch. The Crawdads plated their automatic runner but that was it for the home team in the tenth.
Palma and Price both finished with four hits. Kato, Sacco Jr., and Sandle all had three. Dezenzo went 2-for-6 with three RBI and Jacob Melton put together a 2-for-5 night with a pair of stolen bases. Ryan Clifford and Tim Borden II also contributed hits to the offensive attack.
Edinson Batista took the mound to begin the game but left in the third inning with an ailment. Logan VanWey, Michael Knorr, and Max Roberts pitched the final 7.1 innings and allowed a total of only one earned run.
The Tourists are 4-1 in extra-inning games this season and are 8-2 over their last ten contests.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 25, 2023
- Ortiz Homers Twice as 'Dads Lose in Extras - Hickory Crawdads
- A Strong Coffey Energizes Drive to 6-2 Victory Over Rome - Greenville Drive
- Tourists Pull Off Biggest Comeback Win of the Year - Asheville Tourists
- Osterberg Sharp, Claws Top Aberdeen 5-2 on Thursday - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Cyclones Partner with Sing for Hope to Unveil Unique Piano at Maimonides Park - Brooklyn Cyclones
- De Los Santos' Long Ball Not Enough, 'Clones Fall to Dash - Brooklyn Cyclones
- "Holly" Wood Performance Falls Short in Blue Rocks' Loss - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Renegades Top Blue Rocks 10-8 - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Peoples Punches Out 11, Hot Rods Win 5-2 in Greensboro - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dash Overpower Cyclones 6-1, Snap 7 Game Losing Streak - Winston-Salem Dash
- Grasshoppers Drop Game Three to the Hot Rods, 5-2 - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Bring Dad to the Ballgame, Picnic and a Catch for Father's Day - Greenville Drive
- HVR Game Notes - May 25, 2023 - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Summer at the Shore Is Here and the BlueClaws Are Set to Shine - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Join the Drive for Girl Scout Day, June 4th - Greenville Drive
- Claws Rally to Win Opener; Split Double-Header with Aberdeen on Wednesday - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.