Tortugas Fall in Dunedin Friday Night
DUNEDIN, FL - The Dunedin Blue Jays scored six runs in the second inning to chase LHP Scott Moss from the game Friday night at Dunedin Stadium. The 8-1 loss to open the final regular season series snapped the Tortugas three game win streak.
Ivan Castillo drove in the first two Blue Jay runs with a triple to right center, then came into score a few pitches later on a Rodrigo Orozco single. Nash Knight doubled to move Orozco to third, and Joshua Palacios drove both runners in with a double to extend the lead to 5-0. Moss set down the next to Dunedin hitters ahead of Brock Lundquist, who drove in Palacios with a double to bring the score to 6-0.
Palacios drew a bases loaded walk in the third off LHP Ty Boyles to give Dunedin their seventh run. Kevin Smith drove in the Blue Jays eighth run after grounding into a fielder's choice with the bases loaded.
Morgan Lofstrom hit a one-out triple off LHP Zach Logue in the fifth and scored on an Alberti Chavez sacrifice fly to round out the scoring at 8-1.
Logue (9-3) gets the win. He allowed one run on three hits and two walks in five innings with five strikeouts. Moss (15-4) is handed the loss. He allowed six runs on seven hits and two walks in 1 2/3 innings with a pair of strikeouts.
The Tortugas will turn to LHP Wennington Romero (8-9, 4.61) Saturday night to try and even up the series. RHP Yennsy Diaz (5-4, 3.41) will pitch for Dunedin
First pitch Saturday is scheduled for 6:30 PM with coverage beginning at 6:20 PM with the Metcare Pregame Show on AM 1230, AM 1490, and FM 106.9 WSBB.
NOTES: The Tortugas fall to 0-42 when leading after eight innings... Daytona has lost five of their last seven series openers... The Tortugas finished August 13-16. Their 21 homers were the second most in the league, their .229 average was the second worst and their 4.40 ERA was the third worst... The bottom three in the Tortuga order scored and drove in their only run and finished with four of their six hits... Tonight was the first time Scott Moss failed to make it through 2-innings for the second time in his career. The first time was in his professional debut on 7/11/16... Morgan Lofstrom hit his first career triple... Alberti Chavez has a hit in three straight games since coming off the DL... Stuart Fairchild is 5-for-his-last-8... Alfredo Rodriguez recorded his fifth multi hit game... Michael Beltre has reached base 18 times over his last 11 games (12 walks, 6 singles)... John Sansone tossed a perfect bottom of the eighth.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 31, 2018
- Tarpons Unload on Marauders 19-2 - Bradenton Marauders
- Tortugas Fall in Dunedin Friday Night - Daytona Tortugas
- Tarpons Tally 22 Hits (5 HRs) in 19-2 Blowout - Tampa Tarpons
- Orozco Takes Batting Title Lead in 8-1 Win over Daytona - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Moniak's 4 Hits Lead Way in 10-2 Win - Clearwater Threshers
- Miracle Drop Series Opener To Clearwater, 10-2 - Fort Myers Miracle
- Stone Crabs Blow out Fire Frogs Twice - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Fire Frogs Swept in Twin Bill on Friday - Florida Fire Frogs
- Mets Back to Baseball, Fall 4-2 at Jupiter - St. Lucie Mets
- Tampa Tarpons Game Notes: vs. Bradenton (8/12 Continuation) - Tampa Tarpons
- Florida Fire Frogs Game Notes: August 31, 2018 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Dunedin Splits Doubleheader with Palm Beach - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Stone Crabs Game Notes - Fri, Aug 31 vs Florida - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Four Fire Frogs to Represent Braves in Arizona Fall League - Florida Fire Frogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Daytona Tortugas Stories
- 'Tugas Set Single-Season Attendance Record in Abrupt Finale
- Tonight's Game to be Season Finale
- Remainder of Tortugas, FSL Season Cancelled Due to Hurricane Dorian
- Daytona Rallies Again, Stays in Playoff Hunt with Walk-Off
- Clementina Clobbers Mets in Comeback, 6-5