Fire Frogs Swept in Twin Bill on Friday
PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. - The Florida Fire Frogs had no answer for the Charlotte Stone Crabs' pitching staff on Friday night, suffering the sweep in the doubleheader with final scores of 6-0 and 13-0.
Game One: Florida - 0, Charlotte - 6
Dilmer Mejia (0-2) made his return to the mound at the High-A level in the series opener in game one of Friday's twin bill, and worked around a two-out triple in the first to leave the runner stranded and keep the game scoreless. The left-hander gave up an RBI triple to Joey Roach in the second frame to put Florida (21-42, 50-79) behind by a run.
That tally would be enough for Charlotte (39-28, 73-61), as the home team added three insurance runs in the fourth with sacrifice flies from Kevin Padlo and Eleardo Cabrera, and an RBI single by Joey Roach.
The Stone Crabs put up two more runs in the fifth to put the visitors in a six-run hole.
The Fire Frogs' lone hit of the opener came in the first inning against Riley O'Brien, with Greyson Jenista (1x3, 2B) doubling to right-center.
Drew Waters' (0x3) 18-game on-base streak came to an end with a hitless performance in the front end of the doubleheader.
Game Two: Florida - 0, Charlotte - 13
Friday's nightcap got off to a rough start, with Tanner Allison (0-1) allowing two runs on just one hit in the first inning of his Florida State League debut. The southpaw allowed a solo shot to Padlo to lead off the second to create a three-run deficit.
The contest got out of hand when Charlotte plated nine runs in the fourth inning, sending nine men to the plate before recording an out against the Fire Frogs' bullpen. The Stone Crabs added a run in the fifth to help extend Florida's worst losing margin of 2018.
Florida will look to avoid dropping the series in game three of the four-game set on Saturday night at Charlotte Sports Park. LHP Joey Wentz (3-3, 2.10) takes the mound for the Fire Frogs against the Stone Crabs LHP Kenny Rosenberg (10-2, 5.05). First pitch is scheduled for 6:05 p.m., with coverage starting at 5:50 p.m. with the Florida Fire Frogs Pre-game Show on the Florida Fire Frogs Broadcasting Network.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 31, 2018
- Tarpons Unload on Marauders 19-2 - Bradenton Marauders
- Tortugas Fall in Dunedin Friday Night - Daytona Tortugas
- Tarpons Tally 22 Hits (5 HRs) in 19-2 Blowout - Tampa Tarpons
- Orozco Takes Batting Title Lead in 8-1 Win over Daytona - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Moniak's 4 Hits Lead Way in 10-2 Win - Clearwater Threshers
- Miracle Drop Series Opener To Clearwater, 10-2 - Fort Myers Miracle
- Stone Crabs Blow out Fire Frogs Twice - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Fire Frogs Swept in Twin Bill on Friday - Florida Fire Frogs
- Mets Back to Baseball, Fall 4-2 at Jupiter - St. Lucie Mets
- Tampa Tarpons Game Notes: vs. Bradenton (8/12 Continuation) - Tampa Tarpons
- Florida Fire Frogs Game Notes: August 31, 2018 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Dunedin Splits Doubleheader with Palm Beach - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Stone Crabs Game Notes - Fri, Aug 31 vs Florida - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Four Fire Frogs to Represent Braves in Arizona Fall League - Florida Fire Frogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.