Tarpons Tally 22 Hits (5 HRs) in 19-2 Blowout
TAMPA, Fla. - In a game that began on August 12th at LECOM Park, the Tampa Tarpons played as the away team and clobbered the Bradenton Marauders, 19-2, on Friday night at George M. Steinbrenner Field.
Tampa (34-31, 69-66) tallied a season-high 22 hits, including five home runs and eight extra-base hits, and scored a run in seven-straight innings after not scoring, 19 days ago, in the top of the first inning at Bradenton (20-43, 55-73)
The Marauders struck first when Albert Baur doubled and scored on a two-out single by Adrian Valerio in the bottom of the first.
Steven Sensley legged out an infield single in the second, but was able to jog home when Angel Aguilar crushed a go-ahead, two-run homer to left.
The game did not get easier for Bradenton reliever Mike Wallace.
Estevan Florial blasted a leadoff triple in the third and promptly scored on a groundout by rehabber Clint Frazier. Tampa then loaded the bases with pair of singles and a walk and Sensley followed with a two-run single to right.
After Sensley was caught stretching for a double, Aguilar followed with his second two-run homer of the game. It was Aguilar's first multi-homer game since doing so for the GCL Yankees 2 on June 21, 2014.
Tampa knocked out Wallace in the fourth by starting the inning with five-straight hits. Frazier singled and scored on a towering two-run homer to right by Dom Thompson-Williams. After back-to-back singles by Isiah Gilliam and Ben Ruta, Sensley clubbed a three-run blast to right.
RHP Adam Oller relieved Wallace and Chace Numata lined a one-out double to right. After a walk by Daniel Barrios, Numata scored on a single by Florial. Frazier followed with a sacrifice fly, scoring Barrios for a 14-1 lead.
RHP Rony Garcia faced the minimum in the second and third before yielding a leadoff homer by Baur in the fourth. The 20-year-old followed with back-to-back strikeouts and retired 11 of the final 14 batters he faced through the seventh.
Sacrifice flies by Aguilar in the fifth and Thompson-Williams in the sixth put the Tarpons up, 16-2. Ruta singled to open the seventh and scored, two outs later, on a two-run homer to right by Numata. Gilliam added an RBI single in the eighth, capping a streak of seven-straight run-scoring innings by Tampa.
Garcia (W, 1-5) tied a season-high with seven innings pitched, yielding two earned runs on six hits while issuing no walks and striking out eight on 90 pitches (59 strikes).
LHP Anderson Severino worked around a pair of singles in the eighth and stranded a walk in the ninth while striking out three in a pair of relief innings to close the game.
Wallace (5-11) failed to record an out in the fourth and allowed a career-high 12 earned runs on 13 hits in two innings, walking two while striking out none on 58 pitches (32 strikes). The 24-year-old allowed a career-high four home runs.
Florial (4-for-7, 3B, 2B, RBI, 3R) and Ruta (4-for-6, 2B, 3R) paced the offense with four hits apiece while Sensley (3-for-6, HR, 5RBI, 2R) and Aguilar (2-for-5, 2HR, Sac-F, 5RBI, 2R) led the way with 5 RBI each.
Thompson-Williams (2-for-4, HR, Sac-F, BB, 3RBI, 2R), Gilliam (3-for-5, BB, RBI, 3R) and Numata (3-for-5, HR, 2B, BB, 2RBI, 2R) also had multi-hit games.
Frazier (1-for-2, BB, Sac-F, 2RBI, R) played five innings in left field in his second rehab game with the Tarpons. The 23-year-old joined Tampa on Thursday after having been sidelined since July 19th with concussion symptoms.
The series continues on Saturday, when LHP Reiver Sanmartín (1-0, 0.00) squares off against LHP Domingo Robles (0-2, 5.01) at 3:00 p.m. Live play-by-play audio will be available on the Tarpons Radio Network.
On "Salute to Service Members Saturday," all military receive a FREE upper reserved ticket with valid I.D. Also, select Tarpons players will be signing autographs on the concourse from 2:10-2:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 31, 2018
- Tarpons Unload on Marauders 19-2 - Bradenton Marauders
- Tortugas Fall in Dunedin Friday Night - Daytona Tortugas
- Tarpons Tally 22 Hits (5 HRs) in 19-2 Blowout - Tampa Tarpons
- Orozco Takes Batting Title Lead in 8-1 Win over Daytona - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Moniak's 4 Hits Lead Way in 10-2 Win - Clearwater Threshers
- Miracle Drop Series Opener To Clearwater, 10-2 - Fort Myers Miracle
- Stone Crabs Blow out Fire Frogs Twice - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Fire Frogs Swept in Twin Bill on Friday - Florida Fire Frogs
- Mets Back to Baseball, Fall 4-2 at Jupiter - St. Lucie Mets
- Tampa Tarpons Game Notes: vs. Bradenton (8/12 Continuation) - Tampa Tarpons
- Florida Fire Frogs Game Notes: August 31, 2018 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Dunedin Splits Doubleheader with Palm Beach - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Stone Crabs Game Notes - Fri, Aug 31 vs Florida - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Four Fire Frogs to Represent Braves in Arizona Fall League - Florida Fire Frogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tampa Tarpons Stories
- Dermis Garcia, Miguel Yajure Named FSL Post-Season All-Stars
- Cabrera's Two Blasts Lead Tarpons Past Flying Tigers, 6-5
- Tampa Suffers Setback as Lakeland Sweeps Doubleheader
- Tampa Tarpons and ECHO Outdoor Power Equipment to refurbish local playing fields with Yellow Jackets Little League as part of MiLB Project: Refresh
- Tarpons Slug Four Homers in Doubleheader Split vs. Blue Jays