Timbers Weekly Update: August 22, 2019
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers play host to Cascadia-rival Seattle Sounders FC, in a match presented by Duracell, on Friday, Aug. 23, at Providence Park. Beginning at 7 p.m. (Pacific), the match features a national television broadcast on ESPN with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Portland (11-10-4, 37pts) has posted a record of 6-2-2 in its last 10 league matches. During that span, the Timbers have scored two or more goals five times. At home this season, Portland is 5-2-2 and has earned at least one point in seven of its last eight games at Providence Park. Notably, the Timbers have posted record of 4-1-1 against Western Conference sides at Providence Park in 2019, outscoring their opponents in those matches, 16-5.
Cascadia Cup standings
Friday's match marks Portland's fourth and final Cascadia Cup match of the season. The Timbers currently sit atop the Cascadia Cup standings with six points in three games this season. A win or draw on Friday will give Portland its fifth Cascadia Cup and its second Cascadia Cup in the last three seasons.
Portland and Seattle square off for the third time across all competitions in 2019 on Friday. The Timbers recorded a 2-1 win in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on June 12 and earned a 2-1 victory in league play at Seattle on July 21. Portland has posted a record of 11-11-6 all-time in MLS play, including playoffs, against Sounders FC. The Timbers have won three of the last four matches in MLS regular-season play in the series and have earned at least one point in five of the last six (3-1-2) games against Seattle. At Providence Park, Portland is 6-3-3 all-time against Sounders FC in MLS play. Individually, Brian Fernandez has tallied four goals in two career matches against Seattle, recording a brace in both of the previous matches in 2019, while Blanco has a goal or an assist in four straight matches against Sounders FC.
Up next, the Timbers square off against Real Salt Lake on Saturday, Aug. 31, at Providence Park. Beginning at 7:30 p.m. (Pacific), the match features a television broadcast on FOX 12 PLUS (KPDX) with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Providence Park to host Special Olympics Unified Sports soccer match between Timbers, Seattle Sounders FC on Friday
A Special Olympics Unified Sports soccer match between the Special Olympics Oregon Timbers and Special Olympics Washington Sounders will take place on Friday, Aug. 23, at 1:30 p.m. (Pacific) at Providence Park.
Opening ceremonies and player introductions will began at 1:20 p.m., followed by kickoff at 1:30 p.m. (Pacific) in a match that consists of two 20-minute halves. The match is free and open to the public. Gates open at 1 p.m. (Pacific) and fans are asked to enter through Gate F.
This match is the second in the annual two-match Cascadia Challenge series between these teams with one match hosted by each respective MLS Club. Each teams consists of Special Olympics athletes and Unified teammates (players without intellectual disabilities who will be wearing their respective MLS club's authentic uniforms.
T2 travel for road match against Las Vegas Lights FC
Following a home match against the OKC Energy on Aug. 16, T2 return to the road for a match against Las Vegas Lights FC at Cashman Field on Saturday, Aug. 24. Beginning at 7:30 p.m. (Pacific), the match against Las Vegas will be streamed live on ESPN+.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 22, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: August 22, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Portland Timbers - August 23, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sounders FC Acquires International Roster Slot from Vancouver - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Acquire 2021 MLS SuperDraft Pick from Sounders FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC to 'Blackout LA' Before Sunday's Matchup against Galaxy - Los Angeles FC
- Philadelphia Union Announce New Partnership with Parx Casino - Philadelphia Union
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- New "Launchpad" contest to reward digitally innovative small businesses, courtesy of BBVA and Houston Dynamo - Houston Dynamo
- Orlando City Host Atlanta United FC in Heineken Rivalry Week Match on Friday - Orlando City SC
- LAFC Dominates Earthquakes 4-0 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Blanks San Jose Earthquakes 4-0 on Wednesday Night - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Jeremy Ebobisse Named to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Roster
- Four Timbers Players Called in for International Duty
- Timbers, Allstate Award Local Schools Champions of Play Grants
- Providence Park Receives Leed Gold Certification
- Jeremy Ebobisse Named to U.S. Men's National Team Pre-Camp Roster