New "Launchpad" contest to reward digitally innovative small businesses, courtesy of BBVA and Houston Dynamo
HOUSTON - For the fourth consecutive year, the Houston Dynamo and BBVA in the USA rolled out their annual Launchpad small business contest this week, beginning a new chapter in their focus to foster entrepreneurship in the Houston area.
In a shift from the previous installments, which were generally targeted toward start-up businesses of any kind, the contest will now focus on Houston-area start-up businesses that need a financial boost in order to become digitally innovative. The prize remains similar to past contests - known as The Pitch - with the top business winning a grand prize of $10,000 and consultations with Dynamo and BBVA executives.
"BBVA's digital capabilities have allowed the bank to add a unique value proposition to the banking industry," said BBVA USA Texas Regional Executive Jeff Dudderar. "With our new chapter in becoming a single, global and digital entity, we want to continue to create ample opportunities for a rising business through that industry-leading digital expertise. The Dynamo are excellent teammates. We have paired up with them multiple times for community-focused campaigns and we are excited to unveil this new version of our collaborative contest with them."
In past years, the contest gave small business owners a chance to submit their entries, detailing the nature of their operations and what they would do with their winnings. This year, the contest criteria will include judging on how potential candidates would leverage the introduction of new technology to make their businesses more productive.
"We're excited to team up with our friends at BBVA once again to put the spotlight on Houston's small businesses. This city was built by people with big dreams and great ideas, and the small business community continues to be the heart and soul of our local economy," said John Walker, President of Business Operations for the Dynamo. "Our club and BBVA share the desire to be at the forefront of innovation, and partnering with them to reward growing businesses for sparking digital innovation was natural. I can't wait to see what great ideas that Houston's entrepreneurs are working on!"
After the submission period ends on September 2, a judging period will commence between Dynamo and BBVA USA representatives. After three finalists are announced, fans will have a chance to vote on the winner online at houstondynamo.com. The winner will be presented a check during the Houston Dynamo vs LA Galaxy match on October 6, presented by BBVA.
Companies are encouraged to submit their nominations online at www.houstondynamo.com/bbvalaunchpad.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 22, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: August 22, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Portland Timbers - August 23, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sounders FC Acquires International Roster Slot from Vancouver - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Acquire 2021 MLS SuperDraft Pick from Sounders FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC to 'Blackout LA' Before Sunday's Matchup against Galaxy - Los Angeles FC
- Philadelphia Union Announce New Partnership with Parx Casino - Philadelphia Union
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- New "Launchpad" contest to reward digitally innovative small businesses, courtesy of BBVA and Houston Dynamo - Houston Dynamo
- Orlando City Host Atlanta United FC in Heineken Rivalry Week Match on Friday - Orlando City SC
- LAFC Dominates Earthquakes 4-0 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Blanks San Jose Earthquakes 4-0 on Wednesday Night - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Houston Dynamo Joins Major League Soccer for 'MLS UNITES' Campaign in Response to COVID-19
- Dynamo Classic Rewind Series to Re-Broadcast Most Memorable Matches in Club History
- Major League Soccer and National Women's Soccer League Extend Training Moratoriums
- Kiki Struna Undergoes Successful Arthroscopic Surgery to Treat Left Knee
- BBVA Classic Between Houston Dynamo and Cruz Azul Postponed