Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Orlando City SC
ATLANTA - Atlanta United returns to action Friday as it travels to face Orlando City SC at Exploria Stadium as part of Major League Soccer's Heineken Rivalry Week. The match is set to kick-off at 8 p.m. ET and will be nationally televised on ESPN. For all statistics and media information, please visit our Media Resources page and Game Notes.
Atlanta enters the match in first place in the Eastern Conference standings, while Orlando sits just below the playoff line in eighth place. Atlanta owns a 5-0-2 all-time record against the Lions in league play, including a 3-0-0 record in Orlando.
This will be the team's second meeting in MLS play this season after Atlanta won the first match 1-0 May 12 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium as Gonzálo Martinez scored the game's only goal. The two teams played earlier this month in a U.S. Open Cup semifinal matchup at Exploria Stadium that Atlanta won 2-0 behind goals from Eric Remedi and Emerson Hyndman to advance to the final, which it will host against Minnesota United FC at Mercedes-Benz Stadium Aug. 27.
In its last league match, Atlanta defeated Portland Timbers 2-0 Aug. 18 at Providence Park behind goals from Leandro González Pirez and Josef Martinez, who extended his scoring streak to a record 11 consecutive MLS matches. Brad Guzan recorded his league-high 12th clean sheet this season as Atlanta jumped into first place in the Eastern Conference. Julian Gressel has recorded at least one assist in five of the last six matches and leads the team with nine on the season.
Orlando is unbeaten in its last four matches and is coming off a 1-1 draw against Minnesota United FC on Saturday. Nani converted from the penalty spot for his ninth goal of the season, tied with Tesho Akindele for a team-high, and also leads the Lions with eight assists. Orlando is 6-6-1 at home this season.
Friday, Aug. 23 | Exploria Stadium, Orlando, FL |8 p.m. (ET)
Atlanta United (14-9-3, 45 points) vs. Orlando City SC (9-11-7, 34 points)
English TV | ESPN
Spanish Radio | La Mejor 1600 AM
English Radio | 92-9 The Game
7 p.m.: AT&T Countdown to Kickoff (FB Live/Periscope)
7:30 p.m.: The Pre-Game show (92-9 The Game)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 22, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: August 22, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Portland Timbers - August 23, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sounders FC Acquires International Roster Slot from Vancouver - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Acquire 2021 MLS SuperDraft Pick from Sounders FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC to 'Blackout LA' Before Sunday's Matchup against Galaxy - Los Angeles FC
- Philadelphia Union Announce New Partnership with Parx Casino - Philadelphia Union
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- New "Launchpad" contest to reward digitally innovative small businesses, courtesy of BBVA and Houston Dynamo - Houston Dynamo
- Orlando City Host Atlanta United FC in Heineken Rivalry Week Match on Friday - Orlando City SC
- LAFC Dominates Earthquakes 4-0 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Blanks San Jose Earthquakes 4-0 on Wednesday Night - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Joins Major League Soccer's Ã¢ÂÂMLS Unites' Campaign
- Atlanta United Statement on Training Moratoriums
- The Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation Announces Nearly $5.4 Million in Funding for COVID-19 Relief Efforts
- Josef Martinez Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery
- Atlanta United Falls 3-0 to Club America in Leg One