LAFC Blanks San Jose Earthquakes 4-0 on Wednesday Night
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) earned its 19th win and 9th shutout of the season after routing the San Jose Earthquakes 4-0 on Wednesday night at Banc of California Stadium. Goals from Diego Rossi, Carlos Vela (2) and Josh Perez extended the Club's home unbeaten streaks to 12 games in 2019.
Rossi opened up the scoring for the Black & Gold six minutes into the match after pouncing on a rebound following a one-time shot by Perez. Vela doubled the lead from the penalty spot 11 minutes later. Referee Kevin Stott turned to Video Review before awarding LAFC a penalty kick following a handball by San Jose midfielder Anibal Godoy.
Vela would tally his league-leading 26th goal of the season in the 41st minute after dribbling past three Earthquakes' defenders and goalkeeper Daniel Vega before calmly tapping the ball into the back of the net. Perez made it 4-0 with nine minutes remaining, tallying his first goal in MLS.
With the win, LAFC (19-3-4; 61 points) extended its lead atop the Supporters' Shield standings to 16 points. The Club returns to action on Sunday, August 25 night against the Galaxy. The game is slated for 7:30 p.m. PT at Banc of California Stadium and will be broadcast on FS1, ESPN 710 AM, KFWB 980.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 22, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: August 22, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Portland Timbers - August 23, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sounders FC Acquires International Roster Slot from Vancouver - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Acquire 2021 MLS SuperDraft Pick from Sounders FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC to 'Blackout LA' Before Sunday's Matchup against Galaxy - Los Angeles FC
- Philadelphia Union Announce New Partnership with Parx Casino - Philadelphia Union
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- New "Launchpad" contest to reward digitally innovative small businesses, courtesy of BBVA and Houston Dynamo - Houston Dynamo
- Orlando City Host Atlanta United FC in Heineken Rivalry Week Match on Friday - Orlando City SC
- LAFC Dominates Earthquakes 4-0 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Blanks San Jose Earthquakes 4-0 on Wednesday Night - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- Four LAFC Members Named Finalists for MLS End-Of-Year Awards
- LAFC Launches 'For Los Angeles' as Team Prepares for Playoffs
- LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA Sports
- LAFC to Celebrate Record-Breaking Season with 'Best of LA'
- LAFC Announces Target as Golden Boot Club Member