Timbers to Compete against Tigres UANL and San Jose Earthquakes in Group Stage of Leagues Cup 2023
January 20, 2023 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Portland Timbers News Release
PORTLAND, Ore. - For the first time in club history, the Portland Timbers are set to compete in Leagues Cup, MLS and LIGA MX announced today. Portland, placed in the West 1 Group, will face LIGA MX side Tigres UANL and Western Conference foe San Jose Earthquakes. The summer tournament will be played from July 21 to August 19 with schedule and ticket details to be announced at a later date.
The group stage of the Leagues Cup tournament marks the entrance for 47 teams from the two top-tier leagues in the U.S. and Canada (Major League Soccer) and Mexico (LIGA MX). The tournament features 77 matches in four weeks during the summer where both leagues will pause their respective seasons. Every team will play two matches in the group stage, with the top two teams from each group, as determined by points, advancing to the Knockout Stage Round of 32.
Portland is set to face Mexican powerhouse Tigres UANL for the second time in club history. Portland has faced LIGA MX teams seven different times, including six friendly matches dating back to 2007 and in Concacaf Champions League play against Club America in May 2021. The Timbers last faced Tigres on July 15, 2008, defeating the Nuevo Leon-based club 2-0 in Portland.
The Timbers will also take on the San Jose Earthquakes for the 35th time across all competitions dating back to the 2011 MLS season. Portland leads the all-time series with 18 victories, seven losses and nine draws. Notably, the Timbers have won 15 times and only dropped one result against the Earthquakes (15-1-4) when playing at Providence Park.
As previously announced by Concacaf, the Leagues Cup 2023 winner will qualify directly for the Concacaf Champions League Round of 16, and the second and third place Clubs will qualify for the Champions League Round One. This is the first official competition in the world to involve two leagues and be sanctioned by their Confederation.
Fans around the world will be able to watch Leagues Cup on MLS Season Pass on the Apple TV app, which is available on Apple devices, smart TVs, streaming devices from Roku, Amazon, and Google, game consoles, and the web atâ¯tv.apple.com. In addition, TelevisaUnivision, FOX Sports, TSN and RDS will be the linear broadcast home for select matches in Leagues Cup. The Leagues Cup Final will be available on Univision.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 20, 2023
- Inter Miami CF Set to Face Vasco da Gama in First Friendly of 2023 - Inter Miami CF
- Sounders FC and Providence Agree to Unprecedented Community-Focused Partnership - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Paul Walters as a Homegrown PlayerÃÂ - FC Cincinnati
- Groups Announced for Leagues Cup 2023 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Inter Miami CF to Face Atlanta United and Cruz Azul in Leagues Cup 2023 - Inter Miami CF
- Leagues Cup: Whitecaps FC Grouped with LIGA MX Side Club León and MLS Western Conference Rival LA Galaxy - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Groups Announced for Leagues Cup 2023 - New England Revolution
- FC Cincinnati Draw Chivas Guadalajara, Sporting Kansas City in Leagues Cup 2023 - FC Cincinnati
- Toronto FC Announce Group for Leagues Cup 2023 - Toronto FC
- Austin FC to Face Mazatlán FC, FC Juárez in Leagues Cup 2023 Group Stage - Austin FC
- Earthquakes Placed into Group B for Leagues Cup 2023 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Columbus Crew to Host Storied Mexican Side Club América and MLS Expansion Team St. Louis CITY SC in Leagues Cup 2023 - Columbus Crew SC
- CF Montréal to Face Pumas UNAM and D.C. United in Leagues Cup this Summer - Club de Foot Montreal
- Leagues Cup: New York City Football Club Drawn Alongside Atlas F.C. and Toronto FC - New York City FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Placed in Group 4 of the Central Region in Leagues Cup 2023 - Nashville SC
- Timbers to Compete against Tigres UANL and San Jose Earthquakes in Group Stage of Leagues Cup 2023 - Portland Timbers
- Atlanta United to Play Cruz Azul, Inter Miami CF in Leagues Cup 2023 - Atlanta United FC
- New York Red Bulls Drawn into Group with Atletico San Luis and New England Revolution for 2023 Leagues Cup - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire FC to Face Puebla, Minnesota United FC in Group Stage of Leagues Cup 2023 - Chicago Fire FC
- LA Galaxy Announce Leagues Cup 2023 Opponents - LA Galaxy
- Philadelphia Union Announce Group for Leagues Cup 2023 - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United's Group Announced for Leagues Cup 2023 - D.C. United
- Sporting to Play Chivas Guadalajara and FC Cincinnati in Leagues Cup - Sporting Kansas City
- Orlando City SC to Host Santos Laguna & Houston Dynamo FC in Leagues Cup 2023 - Orlando City SC
- Colorado Rapids to Face Toluca and Nashville SC in Leagues Cup 2023 Group Stage - Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake Joins North American Powers Monterrey FC and Seattle Sounders as Leagues Cup 2023 Groups Unveiled - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas to Face Necaxa and Charlotte FC in Leagues Cup 2023 Group Stage - FC Dallas
- St. Louis CITY SC Group Announced for Leagues Cup 2023 - St. Louis City SC
- Minnesota United to Face Club Puebla and Chicago Fire FC in Leagues Cup 2023 Group Stage Play - Minnesota United FC
- Houston Dynamo FC to Face Santos Laguna and Orlando City SC in the Leagues Cup 2023 - Houston Dynamo FC
- Inter Miami CF Completes Permanent Transfer of Forward Leonardo Campana - Inter Miami CF
- Sporting KC Waives Uri Rosell - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers, LA Galaxy Play to Scoreless Draw at Providence Park
- Timbers Face LA Galaxy at Providence Park Today
- Timbers Fall 5-1 on the Road to Atlanta United FC
- Juan David Mosquera Called up to Colombian Men's National Team for Pair of Friendly Matches in March
- Timbers Sign Forward Franck Boli from Hungarian Side Ferencvárosi TC