Houston Dynamo FC to Face Santos Laguna and Orlando City SC in the Leagues Cup 2023
HOUSTON - Major League Soccer and LIGA MX announced the groups for the 2023 Leagues Cup earlier today. Houston Dynamo FC will compete against Orlando City SC and Santos Laguna from Mexico in one of the four groups in the South Region.
Tickets for Leagues Cup 2023 games and all home matches for the Dynamo at the newly renovated Shell Energy Stadium will be available on HoustonDynamoFC.com or by calling 713-276-GOAL. Dynamo 365 Members and fans who purchase the nine-game plan will receive a ticket to the first Leagues Cup game later this year.
The Leagues Cup 2023, an official Concacaf competition where all 47 clubs - 18 from LIGA MX and 29 from MLS - will play in a World Cup-style tournament that will qualify three clubs for the 2024 Concacaf Champions League. The inaugural edition of Leagues Cup will take place July 21- August 19, 2023.
The tournament groups are based on clubs' 2022 performance along with their geographic regions. The 15 groups will be broken up into four regions: West, Central, South and East. Each region will have four groups, except the West, which will have three groups due to LAFC's entrance in the Knockout Stage. Pachuca will enter the Knockout Stage in the South, opposite side of the bracket from the MLS Cup Champion and opposite quadrant from the top MLS seeded club based on the final 2022 Supporters' Shield standings.
The top 15 MLS clubs - excluding the MLS Cup champion - have been placed in their corresponding geographic region first, and then based on their position in the final 2022 Supporters' Shield standings. The top 15 LIGA MX teams, based on the combined Clausura 2022 and Apertura 2022 standings - excluding the LIGA MX champion as described above - have been paired in reverse order with the top 15 MLS clubs (No. 15 LIGA MX seeded club has been paired with No. 1 MLS seeded club and so on).
Continuing with the competitive balance criteria, the remaining 13 MLS clubs have been placed in the groups, again based first on their geographic region, and then based on their position in the final 2022 Supporters' Shield standings.
Every team will play two matches in the Group Stage, with the top two teams from each group, as determined by points, advancing to the Knockout Stage Round of 32. No matches in the Leagues Cup Group Stage will end in a tie. If a game is tied after 90 minutes, the game will proceed to a penalty shootout. For tiebreakers and other competition items, the Leagues Cup 2023 Competition Guidelines will be published in the coming months.
The Leagues Cup 2023 bracket and schedule will be announced in the coming months.
Fans around the world will be able to watch Leagues Cup* on MLS Season Pass on the Apple TV app, which is available on Apple devices, smart TVs, streaming devices from Roku, Amazon, and Google, game consoles, and the web atâ¯tv.apple.com. In addition, TelevisaUnivision, FOX Sports, TSN and RDS will be the linear broadcast home for select matches in Leagues Cup. The Leagues Cup Final will be available on Univision.
As previously announced, IMG Arena will be the data distribution partner for Leagues Cup.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 20, 2023
- Inter Miami CF Set to Face Vasco da Gama in First Friendly of 2023 - Inter Miami CF
- Sounders FC and Providence Agree to Unprecedented Community-Focused Partnership - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Paul Walters as a Homegrown PlayerÃÂ - FC Cincinnati
- Groups Announced for Leagues Cup 2023 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Inter Miami CF to Face Atlanta United and Cruz Azul in Leagues Cup 2023 - Inter Miami CF
- Leagues Cup: Whitecaps FC Grouped with LIGA MX Side Club León and MLS Western Conference Rival LA Galaxy - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Groups Announced for Leagues Cup 2023 - New England Revolution
- FC Cincinnati Draw Chivas Guadalajara, Sporting Kansas City in Leagues Cup 2023 - FC Cincinnati
- Toronto FC Announce Group for Leagues Cup 2023 - Toronto FC
- Austin FC to Face Mazatlán FC, FC Juárez in Leagues Cup 2023 Group Stage - Austin FC
- Earthquakes Placed into Group B for Leagues Cup 2023 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Columbus Crew to Host Storied Mexican Side Club América and MLS Expansion Team St. Louis CITY SC in Leagues Cup 2023 - Columbus Crew SC
- CF Montréal to Face Pumas UNAM and D.C. United in Leagues Cup this Summer - Club de Foot Montreal
- Leagues Cup: New York City Football Club Drawn Alongside Atlas F.C. and Toronto FC - New York City FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Placed in Group 4 of the Central Region in Leagues Cup 2023 - Nashville SC
- Timbers to Compete against Tigres UANL and San Jose Earthquakes in Group Stage of Leagues Cup 2023 - Portland Timbers
- Atlanta United to Play Cruz Azul, Inter Miami CF in Leagues Cup 2023 - Atlanta United FC
- New York Red Bulls Drawn into Group with Atletico San Luis and New England Revolution for 2023 Leagues Cup - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire FC to Face Puebla, Minnesota United FC in Group Stage of Leagues Cup 2023 - Chicago Fire FC
- LA Galaxy Announce Leagues Cup 2023 Opponents - LA Galaxy
- Philadelphia Union Announce Group for Leagues Cup 2023 - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United's Group Announced for Leagues Cup 2023 - D.C. United
- Sporting to Play Chivas Guadalajara and FC Cincinnati in Leagues Cup - Sporting Kansas City
- Orlando City SC to Host Santos Laguna & Houston Dynamo FC in Leagues Cup 2023 - Orlando City SC
- Colorado Rapids to Face Toluca and Nashville SC in Leagues Cup 2023 Group Stage - Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake Joins North American Powers Monterrey FC and Seattle Sounders as Leagues Cup 2023 Groups Unveiled - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas to Face Necaxa and Charlotte FC in Leagues Cup 2023 Group Stage - FC Dallas
- St. Louis CITY SC Group Announced for Leagues Cup 2023 - St. Louis City SC
- Minnesota United to Face Club Puebla and Chicago Fire FC in Leagues Cup 2023 Group Stage Play - Minnesota United FC
- Houston Dynamo FC to Face Santos Laguna and Orlando City SC in the Leagues Cup 2023 - Houston Dynamo FC
- Inter Miami CF Completes Permanent Transfer of Forward Leonardo Campana - Inter Miami CF
- Sporting KC Waives Uri Rosell - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo FC Stories
- Houston Dynamo FC Fall at Home to New York Red Bulls
- Houston Dynamo FC to Pay Tribute to Maggie McKethan Ahead of Saturday's Kickoff
- Houston Dynamo FC to Defend Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Title in 2024 Edition of the Tournament
- Houston Dynamo FC to Host Columbus Crew at 7 p.m. CT on Wednesday, March 6 at Shell Energy Stadium
- Houston Dynamo FC Advance to the Concacaf Champions Cup Round of 16