Colorado Rapids to Face Toluca and Nashville SC in Leagues Cup 2023 Group Stage
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - The Colorado Rapids have been drawn with LIGA MX side Toluca and MLS side Nashville SC in the group stage of the inaugural edition of Leagues Cup, Major League Soccer announced today.
"We're incredibly excited to take part in the inaugural edition of Leagues Cup, which is one of the most compelling initiatives in world soccer," said Pádraig Smith, Colorado Rapids Executive VP & General Manager. "The opportunity to face off against some of the top teams in our confederation while providing fans with a unique experience is something we're very much looking forward to."
Taking place from July 21 to August 19, Leagues Cup 2023 is an official Concacaf competition that will see all 47 clubs from LIGA MX and MLS play in a World Cup-style tournament based in the U.S. The tournament winner, as well as its second and third-place finishers, will automatically qualify for the Concacaf Champions League and have an opportunity to earn a spot in the FIFA Club World Cup.
The Rapids, Toluca and Nashville SC will occupy the fourth group in the Central region. Leagues Cup 2023 groups are based on clubs' 2022 performance along with their geographic regions. Every team will play two matches in the group stage, with the top two teams from each group, as determined by points, advancing to the knockout stage. No matches in the Leagues Cup Group Stage will end in a tie. If a game is tied after 90 minutes, the game will proceed to a penalty shootout. The Leagues Cup 2023 bracket, schedule and full competition guidelines will be announced in the coming months.
One of the most successful clubs in Mexican soccer, Toluca has won the third-most LIGA MX championships (10), in addition to a Concacaf Champions League title and two Copa MX titles. The club is led by former Mexican international Ignacio Ambriz as its head coach and features former Real Salt Lake winger Sebastián Saucedo and former Mexican national team left back Jorge Torres Nilo in its squad.
Nashville SC is led by 2022 MLS MVP & Golden Boot winner Hany Mukhtar, along with U.S. Men's National Team defender Walker Zimmerman, and is coached by former Rapids head coach Gary Smith. The club's Leagues Cup Group Stage match against the Rapids could be the only time the two sides face off this year after Nashville was moved to the MLS Eastern Conference for the 2023 season.
Fans will be able to watch Leagues Cup on MLS Season Pass on the Apple TV app, which is available on Apple devices, smart TVs, streaming devices from Roku, Amazon, and Google, game consoles and the web atâ¯tv.apple.com. In addition, TelevisaUnivision, FOX Sports, TSN and RDS will be the linear broadcast home for select Leagues Cup matches. The Leagues Cup Final will be available on Univision.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 20, 2023
- Inter Miami CF Set to Face Vasco da Gama in First Friendly of 2023 - Inter Miami CF
- Sounders FC and Providence Agree to Unprecedented Community-Focused Partnership - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Paul Walters as a Homegrown PlayerÃÂ - FC Cincinnati
- Groups Announced for Leagues Cup 2023 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Inter Miami CF to Face Atlanta United and Cruz Azul in Leagues Cup 2023 - Inter Miami CF
- Leagues Cup: Whitecaps FC Grouped with LIGA MX Side Club León and MLS Western Conference Rival LA Galaxy - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Groups Announced for Leagues Cup 2023 - New England Revolution
- FC Cincinnati Draw Chivas Guadalajara, Sporting Kansas City in Leagues Cup 2023 - FC Cincinnati
- Toronto FC Announce Group for Leagues Cup 2023 - Toronto FC
- Austin FC to Face Mazatlán FC, FC Juárez in Leagues Cup 2023 Group Stage - Austin FC
- Earthquakes Placed into Group B for Leagues Cup 2023 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Columbus Crew to Host Storied Mexican Side Club América and MLS Expansion Team St. Louis CITY SC in Leagues Cup 2023 - Columbus Crew SC
- CF Montréal to Face Pumas UNAM and D.C. United in Leagues Cup this Summer - Club de Foot Montreal
- Leagues Cup: New York City Football Club Drawn Alongside Atlas F.C. and Toronto FC - New York City FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Placed in Group 4 of the Central Region in Leagues Cup 2023 - Nashville SC
- Timbers to Compete against Tigres UANL and San Jose Earthquakes in Group Stage of Leagues Cup 2023 - Portland Timbers
- Atlanta United to Play Cruz Azul, Inter Miami CF in Leagues Cup 2023 - Atlanta United FC
- New York Red Bulls Drawn into Group with Atletico San Luis and New England Revolution for 2023 Leagues Cup - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire FC to Face Puebla, Minnesota United FC in Group Stage of Leagues Cup 2023 - Chicago Fire FC
- LA Galaxy Announce Leagues Cup 2023 Opponents - LA Galaxy
- Philadelphia Union Announce Group for Leagues Cup 2023 - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United's Group Announced for Leagues Cup 2023 - D.C. United
- Sporting to Play Chivas Guadalajara and FC Cincinnati in Leagues Cup - Sporting Kansas City
- Orlando City SC to Host Santos Laguna & Houston Dynamo FC in Leagues Cup 2023 - Orlando City SC
- Colorado Rapids to Face Toluca and Nashville SC in Leagues Cup 2023 Group Stage - Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake Joins North American Powers Monterrey FC and Seattle Sounders as Leagues Cup 2023 Groups Unveiled - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas to Face Necaxa and Charlotte FC in Leagues Cup 2023 Group Stage - FC Dallas
- St. Louis CITY SC Group Announced for Leagues Cup 2023 - St. Louis City SC
- Minnesota United to Face Club Puebla and Chicago Fire FC in Leagues Cup 2023 Group Stage Play - Minnesota United FC
- Houston Dynamo FC to Face Santos Laguna and Orlando City SC in the Leagues Cup 2023 - Houston Dynamo FC
- Inter Miami CF Completes Permanent Transfer of Forward Leonardo Campana - Inter Miami CF
- Sporting KC Waives Uri Rosell - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids Announce Full Technical Staff for 2024 MLS Season
- Colorado Rapids Loan Aboubacar Keita to Bohemian FC
- Weekly 'Colorado Rapids Podcast' to Launch Ahead of Season Opener
- Rapids Close Out Preseason with Tenacity, Fall to Orlando City SC, 3-2
- Preview: Colorado Rapids Set to Face Orlando City SC in Preseason Finale