Timbers, Thorns FC Announce Plans Around Rally the Vote Campaign
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers and Portland Thorns FC today announced their plans to encourage voting and voting registration as part of the Rally the Vote campaign, Major League Soccer's Unites to Vote platform and the National Women's Soccer League's voting and civic engagement initiatives.
Rally the Vote is a nonpartisan coalition in partnership with When We All Vote and RISE, composed of over 40 professional sports franchises whose aim is to urge their fans to register to vote and participate in elections. Teams from the NBA, NFAL, MLB, NHL, MLS, WNBA and NWSL have joined the effort to encourage fans to get in the game and make their voices heard. For more information, click here.
As part of the club's efforts, a custom VOTE shirt has been created for each team and is available to all fans. A portion of the proceeds will benefit When We All Vote. These shirts have been distributed to all players and coaches on both teams.
The Timbers and Thorns FC social and digital platforms will feature messages leading up to the Election Day on Nov. 3 from players on both teams to encourage voting. Election Day will be a holiday for the club, and with mail-in voting in Oregon, staff and supporters are being encouraged to volunteer with local organizations on this day. In addition, Vote LEDs and virtual signage will be featured prominently during Timbers and Thorns FC match broadcasts, while the websites from both the Timbers and Thorns FC will include digital messaging. The club is also working with Multnomah County Elections to elevate and amplify their voter registration and voting messages.
In conjunction with MLS, Black Players for Change and the MLS Players Association, the league launched its MLS Unites to Vote, league-wide, non-partisan initiative to help players, staff and fans register to vote and participate in this year's election. This initiative seeks to leverage enterprise-wide platforms to educate the community on the process, driver voter registration, encourage volunteerism on Election Day and showcase the efforts of MLS clubs and players. To learn more, click here.
The NWSL will be promoting Election Day as a national holiday and is encouraging other teams to do the same. Throughout the Fall Series, league broadcasts will incorporate messages that urge fans to make their voices heard, register and vote.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 24, 2020
- Timbers, Thorns FC Announce Plans Around Rally the Vote Campaign - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Signs Noah Powder for 2021 Season - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Announce Time Change for Home Match against Colorado Rapids - Portland Timbers
- Stand out Midfield Performances, Unselfish Play Leads to Successful September - Colorado Rapids
- LAFC Forward Bradley Wright-Phillips Voted MLS Player of the Week - Los Angeles FC
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Bradley Wright-Phillips Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Nashville Soccer Club Announces Training Complex Location in South Nashville - Nashville SC
- Major League Soccer, Pluto TV Extend Agreement - MLS
- History Made: Lions Set New Club-Record - Orlando City SC
- Homegrown Cole Bassett Leading Charge for Colorado Rapids - Colorado Rapids
- Colorado Rapids to Host Fans at Upcoming MLS Matches - Colorado Rapids
- New England Revolution Youth Development Update: September 24, 2020 - New England Revolution
- Sounders FC Falls 1-0 on the Road to Cascadia Rival Portland - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Routs Vancouver Whitecaps FC 6-0 on Wednesday Night - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Defeat Seattle Sounders FC 1-0 at Providence Park Wednesday Night - Portland Timbers
- LAFC thwart 'Caps bid for three straight - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Records 2-0 Victory over LA Galaxy - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Ready for Home Cooking after Brutal Loss - San Jose Earthquakes
- Nashville SC's Unbeaten Run at Nissan Stadium Continues with 1-0 Win over D.C. United - Nashville SC
- MNUFC Falls 2-1 at Columbus Crew - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers, Los Angeles FC Play to 1-1 Draw at Providence Park
- Timbers Play Host to Los Angeles FC Tonight at Providence Park
- Timbers Fall 2-1 on the Road to Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Travel to Face Real Salt Lake Tonight at Rio Tinto Stadium
- Timbers Record 3-0 Win against San Jose Earthquakes at Providence Park