Timbers Defeat Seattle Sounders FC 1-0 at Providence Park Wednesday Night
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers registered a 1-0 shutout victory over Seattle Sounders FC at Providence Park on Wednesday night. Yimmi Chara tallied a goal for a third consecutive match, while Steve Clark tallied six saves and registered a shutout in the win over Seattle.
Timbers' Run Of Form
With the victory over Seattle, Portland (6-4-3, 21pts) moved up to second place in the Western Conference standings, level on points with first place Seattle (6-3-3, 21pts). In their last five regular-season matches dating back to Sept. 6, the Timbers have posted a record of 3-1-1.
With the win, the Timbers evened the series across all competitions against Seattle during the MLS-era (15-15-6). Portland improved to 2-1-0 in three regular-season matches against Sounders FC in 2020. In 11 matches coaching across all competitions against Seattle dating back to 2018, Timbers head coach Giovanni Savarese holds a record of 7-4-0. Portland's victory over Sounders FC marked the first time in five matches across all competitions between the two clubs that the home team won.
Yimmi Chara Heating Up
With his goal in the 15th minute, Yimmi Chara tallied his third goal during the 2020 MLS regular season, and his third consecutive match with a goal scored. Chara has notched three goals and an assist in 11 appearances (five starts) in 2020.
Spreading The Wealth
Five different Timbers players have three or more goals this season. Diego Valeri leads the team with six goals, while Jeremy Ebobisse (5) ranks second on the club. Yimmi Chara, Felipe Mora and Jaroslaw Niezgoda rank tied for third on the team in goals scored (3). Additionally, six different players have tallied two or more assists.
POR - Yimmi Chara (Jeremy Ebobisse), 13th minute: After Ebobisse picked up a loose ball in midfield, he drove forward, playing an incisive pass in between the Seattle defense to Yimmi Chara, whose first-time finish from the center of the penalty area gave the Timbers a lead they would not relinquish.
The match was the 110th meeting all-time between Seattle and Portland.
Yimmi Chara scored his third regular-season goal for the Timbers, tallying a goal in a third consecutive match.
Yimmi Chara is the third Timbers player to score in three consecutive matches in the 2020 regular season, joining Jeremy Ebobisse and Felipe Mora.
The goal marked Yimmi Chara's first at Providence Park.
Jeremy Ebobisse notched his second assist of the 2020 regular season and his third in all competitions this year.
Steve Clark delivered a season-high six saves for his second shutout of the 2020 season.
Clark now has 10 career shutouts for Portland, becoming the 10th goalkeeper in all eras of the Timbers with 10 or more clean sheets.
In the 6,043 matches in MLS history, the match was the first in league history to feature two sets of brothers playing against each other. Yimmi and Diego Chara both started for the Timbers while for Seattle, Cristian Roldan started and his brother Alex Roldan appeared as a substitute.
The Timbers will square off against Cascadia-rival Vancouver Whitecaps FC at Providence Park on Sunday, Sept. 27; kickoff is set for 7 p.m. (Pacific). Portland will play as the visiting team in their match against Whitecaps FC at Providence Park, which features a regional television broadcast on ROOT SPORTS with local radio broadcast on 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Portland Timbers (6-4-3, 21pts) vs. Seattle Sounders FC (6-3-3, 21pts)
Sept. 23, 2020 - Providence Park (Portland, Ore.)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Portland Timbers 1 0 1
Seattle Sounders FC 0 0 0
POR: Chara (Ebobisse), 13
SEA: Tolo (caution), 48
POR: Bonilla (caution), 55
SEA: RuidÃaz (caution), 56
POR: Williamson (caution), 76
SEA: A. Roldan (caution), 90
POR: Clark (caution) 90+5
POR: GK Clark, D Bonilla, D Cascante, D Zuparic, D Villafaña, M Williamson (Paredes, 86), M D. Chara, M Ebobisse (Polo, 75), M Valeri © (Mabiala, 86), M Y. Chara (LorÃa, 75), F Niezgoda (Mora, 71)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Ivacic, D Farfan, M Flores, M Zambrano
TOTAL SHOTS: 9 (Three players tied, 2); SHOTS ON GOAL: 2 (Y. Chara, Paredes, 1); FOULS: 11 (Williamson, 5); OFFSIDES: 0; CORNER KICKS: 4; SAVES: 6
SEA: GK Frei, D Leerdam (Ibarra, 84), D O'Neill (Bruin, 76), D Yeimar, D Nouhou (Svensson, 45), M C. Roldan, M Joao Paulo, M Jones (A. Roldan, 53), M Lodeiro ©, M Morris, F RuidÃaz
Substitutes Not Used: GK Cleveland, D Arreaga, M Atencio, M Delem
TOTAL SHOTS: 19 (Morris, 4); SHOTS ON GOAL: 6 (Six players tied, 1); FOULS: 8 (Lodeiro, 2); OFFSIDES: 2; CORNER KICKS: 13; SAVES:1
Referee: Allen Chapman
Assistant Referees: Kathryn Nesbitt, Jeff Hosking
Fourth Official: Farhad Dadkho
VAR: Ramy Touchan
Weather: Rain, 63 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 24, 2020
- Timbers, Thorns FC Announce Plans Around Rally the Vote Campaign - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Signs Noah Powder for 2021 Season - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Announce Time Change for Home Match against Colorado Rapids - Portland Timbers
- Stand out Midfield Performances, Unselfish Play Leads to Successful September - Colorado Rapids
- LAFC Forward Bradley Wright-Phillips Voted MLS Player of the Week - Los Angeles FC
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Bradley Wright-Phillips Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Nashville Soccer Club Announces Training Complex Location in South Nashville - Nashville SC
- Major League Soccer, Pluto TV Extend Agreement - MLS
- History Made: Lions Set New Club-Record - Orlando City SC
- Homegrown Cole Bassett Leading Charge for Colorado Rapids - Colorado Rapids
- Colorado Rapids to Host Fans at Upcoming MLS Matches - Colorado Rapids
- New England Revolution Youth Development Update: September 24, 2020 - New England Revolution
- Sounders FC Falls 1-0 on the Road to Cascadia Rival Portland - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Routs Vancouver Whitecaps FC 6-0 on Wednesday Night - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Defeat Seattle Sounders FC 1-0 at Providence Park Wednesday Night - Portland Timbers
- LAFC thwart 'Caps bid for three straight - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Records 2-0 Victory over LA Galaxy - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Ready for Home Cooking after Brutal Loss - San Jose Earthquakes
- Nashville SC's Unbeaten Run at Nissan Stadium Continues with 1-0 Win over D.C. United - Nashville SC
- MNUFC Falls 2-1 at Columbus Crew - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers, Los Angeles FC Play to 1-1 Draw at Providence Park
- Timbers Play Host to Los Angeles FC Tonight at Providence Park
- Timbers Fall 2-1 on the Road to Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Travel to Face Real Salt Lake Tonight at Rio Tinto Stadium
- Timbers Record 3-0 Win against San Jose Earthquakes at Providence Park