LAFC Forward Bradley Wright-Phillips Voted MLS Player of the Week
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) forward Bradley Wright-Phillips was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for the 13th week of the 2020 MLS season. This was Wright-Phillips' 12th MLS Player of the Week honor, third-most in league history, and the first since Week 29 of the 2018 season.
Wright-Phillips powered the Club to a dominant 6-0 victory over Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Wednesday at Banc of California Stadium behind two goals, the 22nd regular season multi-goal performance of his MLS career. Wright-Phillips now has seven goals this season, tied for fourth-most in the standings for the 2020 MLS Golden Boot presented by Audi. In his career, Wright-Phillips has scored 115 regular season goals, sixth-most in MLS history.
With LAFC already holding an early advantage, Wright-Phillips extended the club's lead to 2-0 in the 5th minute with an acrobatic spinning right-footed shot from the center of the box to the bottom left corner.
Wright-Phillips would then score his second goal of the game in the 11th minute to extend LAFC's lead to 3-0 when he finished a deflected Diego Rossi shot with a right-footed scissor kick from the box into the center of the goal.
LAFC is currently tied for sixth in the Western Conference standings with 18 points (5-5-3 overall record). The Black & Gold continues action this week on Sunday when hosting the San Jose Earthquakes at Banc of California Stadium (7:30 p.m. PT; YouTube TV, Estrella TV, ESPN 710am).
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 24, 2020
- Timbers, Thorns FC Announce Plans Around Rally the Vote Campaign - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Signs Noah Powder for 2021 Season - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Announce Time Change for Home Match against Colorado Rapids - Portland Timbers
- Stand out Midfield Performances, Unselfish Play Leads to Successful September - Colorado Rapids
- LAFC Forward Bradley Wright-Phillips Voted MLS Player of the Week - Los Angeles FC
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Bradley Wright-Phillips Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Nashville Soccer Club Announces Training Complex Location in South Nashville - Nashville SC
- Major League Soccer, Pluto TV Extend Agreement - MLS
- History Made: Lions Set New Club-Record - Orlando City SC
- Homegrown Cole Bassett Leading Charge for Colorado Rapids - Colorado Rapids
- Colorado Rapids to Host Fans at Upcoming MLS Matches - Colorado Rapids
- New England Revolution Youth Development Update: September 24, 2020 - New England Revolution
- Sounders FC Falls 1-0 on the Road to Cascadia Rival Portland - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Routs Vancouver Whitecaps FC 6-0 on Wednesday Night - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Defeat Seattle Sounders FC 1-0 at Providence Park Wednesday Night - Portland Timbers
- LAFC thwart 'Caps bid for three straight - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Records 2-0 Victory over LA Galaxy - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Ready for Home Cooking after Brutal Loss - San Jose Earthquakes
- Nashville SC's Unbeaten Run at Nissan Stadium Continues with 1-0 Win over D.C. United - Nashville SC
- MNUFC Falls 2-1 at Columbus Crew - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- Early Voting Starts Tomorrow at Banc of California Stadium at 10 a.m.
- LAFC Defeats Houston Dynamo 2-1 on Wednesday Night at Banc of California Stadium
- LAFC Statement on Positive Covid-19 Case
- LAFC Faces the Houston Dynamo Tomorrow at Banc of California Stadium
- LAFC Defeats Rival LA Galaxy 2-0 on Sunday at Banc of California Stadium