Timbers Register 1-0 Shutout Road Win against Vancouver Whitecaps FC
VANCOUVER, B.C. - The Portland Timbers concluded a five-game road swing with a 1-0 shutout win against Vancouver Whitecaps FC at BC Place on Friday night. The Timbers earned their third consecutive shutout victory on the road, ending Vancouver's 10-game unbeaten streak as Felipe Mora helped create the game-winning goal in the 66th minute of the match.
Strong Shutout Wins
Portland recorded three straight shutout wins on the road for the first time in the club's MLS history with its win against Vancouver. It marked the first time the Timbers have recorded three consecutive shutouts in MLS regular season play since 2018 (April 22-May 13). Before tonight's game, the Timbers blanked Seattle Sounders FC in a 2-0 victory at Lumen Field on Aug. 25, and Houston Dynamo FC by a score of 2-0 on Aug. 29. Additionally, the Timbers recorded their sixth clean sheet of the 2021 campaign.
Five-Game Road Stretch
Coming off five games on the road, Portland earned 10 points, posting a record of 3-1-1. The Timbers earned a point against Sporting Kansas City with 1-1 draw on Aug. 18, and added three wins (Seattle, Houston, Vancouver). Three of the Timbers' seven goals scored in five road games came from Felipe Mora, who currently leads the team in goals scored with nine. Dairon Asprilla, Sebastián Blanco and Yimmi Chara tallied one goal each during the road stretch.
Diego Chara Hits 300
In his 11th season with the Timbers, Diego Chara reached 300 regular-season appearances in tonight's match against Whitecaps FC. With this milestone, Chara became the eighth MLS player to hit that mark with one club, the 55th player in league history and the first in Timbers history. Chara has scored 10 goals and tallied 26 assists for the Timbers.
Giovanni Savarese Reaches 50 Victories
With tonight's win, Timbers head coach Giovanni Savarese recorded his 50th MLS regular season career win. He currently holds a 50-39-25 record in league play. Savarese has registered 10 or more wins in each season since joining the club in 2018.
POR - Own goal (Ranko Veselinovic), 55th minute: Sebastián Blanco dribbled into the box and sent a looping cross over the Vancouver defense to Felipe Mora near the right edge of the six-yard box. Mora crossed the ball toward the goal and Ranko Veselinovic kicked the ball into his own goal in an attempt to clear it.
The Timbers improved their all-time record against Whitecaps FC to 14-8-6.
Portland has scored a goal in 13 consecutive matches.
The Timbers recorded their sixth clean sheet of the season.
Portland recorded three straight shutouts wins on the road for the first time in the club's MLS history.
Tonight's win marked the first time the Timbers have recorded three consecutive shutouts in MLS regular season play since 2018.
The Timbers are 9-1-1 when scoring first in the 2021 campaign.
Tonight's win was head coach Giovanni Savarese 50th regular season win.
Savarese has registered 10 or more wins in each season since joining the club in 2018.
Diego Chara hit his 300th MLS regular season appearance tonight.
Chara became the eighth player in the league to hit that mark with one club and 55th player in league history to reach that milestone.
Chara is the first player to reach 300 MLS regular season games in club history.
Steve Clark earned his 17th regular season career shutout with the Timbers, and his fourth of the 2021 season.
The Timbers are back in action next Wednesday, Sept. 15, returning to Providence Park to take on the Colorado Rapids. The midweek clash kicks off at 7:00 p.m. (Pacific) and will feature a local broadcast on ROOT Sports with radio broadcasts on 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Portland Timbers (10-10-3, 33pts) vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC (7-8-8, 29pts)
Sept. 10, 2021 - BC Place (Vancouver, B.C.)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0 0 0
Portland Timbers 0 1 1
POR: Own goal (Veselinovic), 66
VAN: Bickel (caution), 28
VAN: Dajome (caution), 58
POR: Moreno (caution), 90+2
POR: GK Clark, D Van Rankin (Tuiloma, 75), D Mabiala, D Zuparic, D Bravo, M D. Chara ©, M Fochive, M Y. Chara (Loría, 75), M Blanco (Moreno, 82), M Asprilla, F Mora
Substitutes Not Used: GK Ivacic, D Bonilla, D McGraw, M Paredes, M Zambrano, F Niezgoda
TOTAL SHOTS: 10 (Asprilla, 4); SHOTS ON GOAL: 3 (Three players tied, 1); FOULS: 13 (D. Chara, Mabiala, 3); OFFSIDES: 3; CORNER KICKS: 0; SAVES: 2
VAN: GK Crepeau, D Veselinovic, D Godoy (Owusu, 73), D Jungwirth, D Metcalfe (Brown, 53), M Bikel, M Gould, M Teibert ©, M Baldisimo, F Dajoma, D White (Cavallini, 62)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Hasal, D Godinho, D Rose, M Caicedo, M Raposo, F Ricketts
TOTAL SHOTS: 14 (Gauld, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 3 (Three players tied, 1); FOULS: 18 (Bikel, 5); OFFSIDES: 0; CORNER KICKS: 10; SAVES: 3
Referee: Marcos Deoliveira
Assistant Referees: Ian Anderson, Chris Elliott
Fourth official: Alain Ruch
VAR: Tim Ford
Weather: Cloudy, 67 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 11, 2021
- FC Cincinnati (2) - Toronto FC (0) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Orange and Blue earn emphatic first win at TQL Stadium - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas Comes from Behind to Earn a 1-1 Draw with the San Jose Earthquakes - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 2-0 to Sporting Kansas City - Chicago Fire FC
- Inter Miami CF Earns 1-0 Win over Columbus Crew - Inter Miami CF
- Revolution Defeat New York City FC, 2-1 - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Draw 1-1 against the New York Red Bulls on the Road - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Draw D.C. United 1-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Sounders FC Earns 1-0 Home Win Saturday Afternoon over Minnesota United FC - Seattle Sounders FC
- MNUFC Lose 1-0 at Seattle - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Begins Two-Game Road Swing Sunday at LAFC - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Face FC Dallas Today - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Faces Minnesota United FC Saturday Afternoon at Lumen Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- New York Red Bulls Sign NYRBII Goalkeeper A.J. Marcucci - New York Red Bulls
- Timbers Register 1-0 Shutout Road Win against Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Portland Timbers
- 'Caps come close but fall 1-0 in Cascadia Cup derby at BC Place - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Portland Timbers Recall Midfielder Blake Bodily from San Diego Loyal
- Timbers Drop 2-1 Result to La Galaxy on the Road
- Timbers Announce Broadcast, Time Change for November 3 Match at Real Salt Lake
- Three Timbers Players Called up for International Duty
- Timbers Shut out Inter Miami Cf in 1-0 Win at Providence Park