Red Bulls Draw D.C. United 1-1
The New York Red Bulls (6-10-5, 23 points) fought to a 1-1 draw against rival D.C. United (9-10-4, 31 points) on Saturday night at Red Bull Arena.
New York opened the scoring in the 5th minute, when forward Patryk Klimala won possession of the ball in D.C. United's half. He then found the feet of midfielder Dru Yearwood at the top of the eighteen-yard box, who found the bottom left corner of the net to give the Red Bulls the lead.
After a handball in the box, D.C. United forward Ola Kamara converted a penalty kick to equalize the match in the 44th minute.
Yearwood scored his first career MLS goal and recorded the quickest goal scored for New York this season in the 5th minute.
Klimala tallied his fifth assist of the season and his first since July 3 against Orlando City SC, where he recorded the third multi-assist match for the Red Bulls this year.
New York have posted a 19-10-11 mark in matches after a loss since 2018.
Red Bulls forward and Harrison, N.J. native Omar Sowe made his MLS debut coming on as a substitute in the 70th minute.
The Red Bulls recorded their sixth goal from outside the box this season moving into a tie for third in MLS. Five of the six goals from outside the box this year have been scored at Red Bull Arena.
Midfielder Youba Diarra made his first appearance since April 17 against Sporting Kansas City after suffering from a hamstring injury.
Red Bulls Captain Sean Davis moved into a tie with Dane Richards for fifth place in franchise history for MLS regular season games played with 159.
Davis moved into a tie with Carlos Mendes for sixth place in franchise history for MLS regular season games started with 128.
Since 2015, New York is 84-18-23 when scoring the first goal of a match, including 6-4-3 this season.
Following Tuesday's match, New York will embark on a two-match road trip beginning with the Columbus Crew on Tuesday, September 14. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET on MSG, MSG GO, and New York Red Bulls Radio in English and Spanish via TuneIn, the New York Red Bulls app and NewYorkRedBulls.com.
New York Red Bulls 1, D.C. United 1
2021 MLS Regular-Season Match 21
Saturday, September 11, 2021 - 7 p.m. ET
Red Bull Arena | Harrison, N.J.
NY - Dru Yearwood 1 (Klimala) 6'
DC - Ola Kamara 13 (penalty) 44'
NY - Sean Nealis (caution, foul) 44'
DC - Drew Skundrich (caution, foul) 50'
NY - Tom Edwards (caution, foul) 75'
New York Red Bulls: Carlos Coronel; Andrew Gutman, Sean Nealis, Andrés Reyes, Tom Edwards; Sean Davis ©, John Tolkin (Youba Diarra, 79'), Dru Yearwood (Cristian Cásseres, Jr, 55'), Wiki Carmona (Omir Fernandez, HT), Caden Clark (Fábio, 55'), Patryk Klimala (Omar Sowe, 70')
Unused Subs: AJ Marcucci, Amro Tarek, Mandela Egbo, Tom Barlow
TOTAL SHOTS: 11; SHOTS ON GOAL: 3; FOULS: 11; POSSESSION: 45.7%; CORNER KICKS: 2; SAVES: 1
D.C. United: Jon Kempin; Tony Alfaro, Steve Birnbaum ©, Donovan Pines; Russell Canouse, Paul Arriola (Ramon Abila, 63'), Drew Skundrich (Felipe, 63'), Yordy Reyna (Yamil Asad, 87'), Kevin Paredes, Julian Gressel, Ola Kamara (Joseph Mora, 87')
Unused Subs: Chris Seitz, Frederic Brillant, Griffin Yow, Moses Nyeman
TOTAL SHOTS: 8; SHOTS ON GOAL: 2; FOULS: 8; POSSESSION: 54.3%; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 2
Referee: Robert Sibiga
Assistant Referees: Andrew Bigelow, Claudiu Badea
4th Official: Danielle Chesky
VAR: Jorge Gonzalez
AVAR: Tom Supple
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 11, 2021
- FC Cincinnati (2) - Toronto FC (0) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Orange and Blue earn emphatic first win at TQL Stadium - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas Comes from Behind to Earn a 1-1 Draw with the San Jose Earthquakes - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 2-0 to Sporting Kansas City - Chicago Fire FC
- Inter Miami CF Earns 1-0 Win over Columbus Crew - Inter Miami CF
- Revolution Defeat New York City FC, 2-1 - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Draw 1-1 against the New York Red Bulls on the Road - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Draw D.C. United 1-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Sounders FC Earns 1-0 Home Win Saturday Afternoon over Minnesota United FC - Seattle Sounders FC
- MNUFC Lose 1-0 at Seattle - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Begins Two-Game Road Swing Sunday at LAFC - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Face FC Dallas Today - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Faces Minnesota United FC Saturday Afternoon at Lumen Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- New York Red Bulls Sign NYRBII Goalkeeper A.J. Marcucci - New York Red Bulls
- Timbers Register 1-0 Shutout Road Win against Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Portland Timbers
- 'Caps come close but fall 1-0 in Cascadia Cup derby at BC Place - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Red Bulls - Atlanta United Match Picked up by FS1 and FOX Deportes
- New York Begins Two-Match Homestand on Saturday with Inter Miami CF
- Red Bull Arena Teams up with Applied Silver, Inc. and Astreea Ensuring Continued Health and Safety
- Red Bulls Defeat FC Cincinnati 1-0
- Red Bulls Travel to Ohio to Face FC Cincinnati